Carcass at Confluence - Yellowstone Wolves - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Carcass at Confluence - Yellowstone Wolves

Note: This posting is not looking for debate or discussion on wolves and their existence. And just for clarification, while I do find wolves to be fascinating I am also for a hunting season for them just like any other game animal.

Now... on to the show.
May 26, 2011
After leaving Fishing Bridge around 5pm and driving back to Mammoth in some bad snow, we had smooth sailing on our way back to back Silver Gate, until we go through Lamar. By then it was dark and the snow was piling up on the road and visibility was very limited. There were no tire tracks in the snow in front of us and it was like traveling at Star Wars warp speed with the snow flying toward out window shield. Finally, 11pm and we were back in Silver Gate for the night, tired and a bit hungry. The Lamar Pack had not taken any animals in the past two days. They were due and with the fresh snow on the ground, there was no way we were not going to miss daybreak in Lamar the following morning.

The 4am alarm went off and we got ready for another full day in the park. We were on the road shortly after 5am.

Cell phone picture of our cabin that morning.

We had not seen a vehicle until we hit Hitching Post and Doug from Silver Gate Cabins was there looking about. I walked up and said “great morning to see the wolves with the snow” and replied back that it may already be over as he caught a glimpse of a black wolf traveling toward where they cross to the den site. With no wolves in site we traveled down the road, watching a mule deer run east along the opposite side of the river. Around the bend below Confluence, the yellow Xterra was stopped in the road. There were wolves crossing the road. We stopped and watched the Lamar Alpha male 755 cross the river, road and go up the hill to the north and above us. Once at the top he traveled along the edge back east behind us giving us a quick glimpse as he went by until he disappeared.

Back on the other side of the river we found Lamar Alpha female ’06 following in her mate’s path, crossing the river, road in front of us and part way up the hill. ’06 turned around, back across the road and back across the river.

Once on the other side she made her way east along the river and this is where we got back in our vehicles and turned back around towards the pullout at Confluence.

Once around the bend we see 755 had come down off the hill, crossed the road and river and taken out the mule deer we saw just a few minutes earlier.

continued....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Re: Carcass at Confluence - Yellowstone Wolves

755 proceed to remove his prize from the deer and head back into the willows to enjoy his meal in peace. ’06 was fast approaching along and through the Confluence area, nose in the air guiding her to the deer her mate had taken down.

And finally finding the carcass.

755 returned from the willows to join his mate.

Only 30 minutes had gone by so far since this all started.

The two wolves continued filling their stomach while ravens quickly congregrated waiting their turn or a chance to steal a morsel. Everyone once in a while the wolves would chase at the ravens.

continued....
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Back at the carcass, wolves doing what wolves do…..

Until a grizzly show up and takes possession of the carcass, chasing the wolves off.

755 came back and gave the bear a nip in the butt prompting the bear to turn and swat at him but wolves are no match for the bear.

Disgusted at losing the carcass, 755 lets out a little howl.

And grizzlies do not like ravens either.

The grizzly bear settle in at the carcass and it was only under an hour since the deer was taken down by 755. Bears have amazing noses.

The overnight snow provided a great backdrop for the events of the morning. After spending 2 hours watching everything unfold, we moved down the road looking for our next adventure. We came back later in the afternoon but nothing new had happen or did happen the remainder of the day at the carcass. During my time there I got to talk with a number of photographer friends I have met over the years at Yellowstone including Dave Shumway who graciously allowed me to use his BIG lens a little.

Can't wait until my next trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:55 AM

SWEET pics man, amazing....glad you got the chance to witness that, and thanks for sharing

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Part of the Community

Outstanding, Right place right time and then knowing how to use your equipment. Very well done. Mr. Shumway ain't bad either...
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 11:02 AM

nice pics
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 11:05 AM
Frequent Contributor

Thats a great story and chain of events.

I have CDO, its like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order the way they should be.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Frequent Contributor

I see a collar on the darker colored wolf I guess he is being tracked.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model-37
I see a collar on the darker colored wolf I guess he is being tracked.
In Y-stone, they try to have a couple collared wolves in each pack. This particular pack has 3 wolves collared, the two adult males and a yearling (not sure male or female). Once collared they basically have a name, as in this case 755. That's his collar number.

They use telemetry on ground and by airplane to track the wolf packs using the collars.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 11:30 AM

Just amazing. I look forward to the day I can travel and photograph in Yellowstone.

Keep 'em in the ten ring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page