Snowy Owl FYI - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Snowy Owl FYI

Just an FYI, a "photographer" was seen getting out of his car and chasing one of the Turbotville Snowy Owls through a field trying to get a flying picture. Not only was he trespassing, he was clearly harassing the bird which is a violation of game laws and adds undue stress to these majestic visitors.

Just to be very clear...I have ZERO BELIEF it was ANYONE of us, I am just putting this out on here b/c I know a lot of us are out and about a lot. If you see this behavior please take the opportunity to educate these individuals, as they may not know the consequences of their actions. Feel free to get plate numbers etc.

Thanks

-Jason Weller

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Re: Snowy Owl FYI

My apologies...it was a woman, not a man and they were parked at the farmhouse so it's possible they had permission, though my friends are doubtful...either way, they are sure the landowner would not be happy with the behavior.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 12:38 AM

I believe this already has a "full-sized" thread about it, and there was a write-up in a news column already on it ? If it's the same incident.

BUT, as I understand it, and as was mentioned in another post.... these Snowy Owls are from friggin where ??? Antartica, or North-By-Gosh-Jabip ????? Are they really "expending energy" flying from one tree, to the next across a field ?

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

This was a separate incident that just happened tonight and if the landowner is not happy then it is every outdoors loving person who suffers when permission gets harder to come by. One of the landowners was already not happy because someone without permission was out in their field and spooked some livestock. Imagine having your kids looking out the window at the owl and suddenly someone goes running up to it and chases it away to get a photo.

Many folks have been enjoying these owls from their vehicles and to have someone go and chase it off just so they can get a picture of it in flight is pretty disrespectful IMO.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 02:02 AM

Well, I agree that trespassing is an all too common occurrance in PA, and it comes with really no lgal recourse here in our commonwealth. I live it more days than can be counted. Look no furhter than the multitude of threads over the years here that have broached the subject. But as far as Mr. or Mrs. Snowy being all that inflicted by the mishap, I'd relax, believing it's a small blip on thir daily radar.

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page