The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Hornady FPB

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  GregB 
#1 ·
Anyone have the opportunity to try these new muzzleloader bullets from Hornady? I had never heard of them until opening the november issue of one of my hunting rags. They look kinda like a powerbelt without the green plastic skirt, and the tips seem to be made from the same stuff as the Leverevolution(sp?) ammo.

#4 ·
I tried these Hornady FPB's behind 2 Triple 7 pellets and was impressed by the results. They are a little tighter to load in my TC Omega than the Powerbelts. I shot a doe this year using them, it was a 50 yard broadside shot slightly high on the shoulder and the deer dropped in its tracks. The only problem I had was that the red plastic tip came off during loading. You can buy an adapter for your ramrod to prevent this.

#7 ·
I have shot the Hornady FPB the last 2 years from my TC Omega. Shooting 100 to 110 grains of triple 7, I killed 2 elk and a 5 x 5 mule deer in Colorado. I went from the power belts to the FPB as the power belts did not hold up on elk sized game. Since you can't legally shoot any type of sabot load in Colorado, over the years we migrated from conicals (Hornady Great Plains, Maxi-balls, Maxi Hunters) to power belts. The power belts group well, but fragment too much for elk. I'm sure they would be fine for whitetails, but I'm sticking with the FPB's for elk. Fantastic mushrooming, do not fragment on impact (like the power belts did).

#10 ·
dipstick said:
I tried these Hornady FPB's behind 2 Triple 7 pellets and was impressed by the results. They are a little tighter to load in my TC Omega than the Powerbelts. I shot a doe this year using them, it was a 50 yard broadside shot slightly high on the shoulder and the deer dropped in its tracks. The only problem I had was that the red plastic tip came off during loading. You can buy an adapter for your ramrod to prevent this.
+ 1 I use them in my flinter with 2 777 pellets. They work great even with the tip pulling out. I had a 2" 3 shot group out of my Traditions PA Pellet. I shoot a different load out of my T/C PA Hunter. I am impressed with the Hornady's.....wait till Wal-Mart has them on sale after season!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.