The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Snow Shoes?

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  pappybear 
#1 ·
Was thinking about purchasing a pair of snow shoes for late season coyote hunting. Any suggestions? I don't know anything about them as far as what material/construction/bindings work best?

#3 ·
I have a pair of Tubbs Frontier 25. Mine are brown. Didn't go with the 30 or larger because of the terrain where I hunt...way to steep and hilly. They get tons of use up here with all the lake effect in Jan-March.

Shoes

...some of the MSR shoes are made in USA

#5 ·
A lot is personal preference, some want a traditional wood maine or bearpaw design, some want cheap with GI surplus. Snowshoeing is a winter workout for me in place of running and biking. I've had a set of Tubbs for over 20yr and would buy the same thing again. Not sure of the model anymore as they are discontinued. I suspect the Atlas brand is similar to Tubbs.

#7 ·
10x36 modified bear claw design with webbing not sheating. In my experience and here's my reasoning.

1. any wider than 9 or 10 inches across and your stepping on inside edges of your shoes without thinking about it or exaggerating your gait making your legs hurt in places they never did before after using.
2. any longer or with long tails make it more difficult to navigate through the woods.
3. with sheathing instead of webbing I found that I was shoveling snow with each step and they were loud.

Your trying to jinx us Beagler, aren't you. Keystonepaul

#9 ·
I have a pair of Cabela's Alaskan Outfitters 9X30" that I've used for about 10years. They work great. I think I paid about $160 for them.
I wanted to get a pair for my wife but she didn't think that she would use them enough to justify the expense, so I picked her up a set of Yukon Charlie 9X30" with poles that Sam's Club was clearing out for $35. The looked very similar to the Cabelas model and work just as well.
They are still available at a number of websites for about $70 for the snow shoes with poles.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.