? For apple experts - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

? For apple experts

So here is my plan for some deer apple trees. I have a standard sized johnathan apple tree by the house (awesome apples). I plan on planting some of the seeds this spring. That should give me a standard sized rootstock correct? From there I will get scions from my large tree and graft them onto these rootstocks giving me more standard sized Johnathans. Correct?
I have planted some other varieties lately also and could use scions from them also.
I assume the same principle will work with pears?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 12:14 PM

Re: ? For apple experts

Don't know about grafting, but have started many fruit trees from seed. Put the seed in a paper towel, and store in your freezer until late winter/early spring. Then moisten the paper towel and place in the refrigerator in a plastic container. After a handful of days or so, voila, apple sprout. Place in a pot with soil and start nurturing. Sun in the day and inside at night until frost has passed.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 01:20 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ptspike
So here is my plan for some deer apple trees. I have a standard sized johnathan apple tree by the house (awesome apples). I plan on planting some of the seeds this spring. That should give me a standard sized rootstock correct? From there I will get scions from my large tree and graft them onto these rootstocks giving me more standard sized Johnathans. Correct?
I have planted some other varieties lately also and could use scions from them also.
I assume the same principle will work with pears?
I put apple seeds in the refrigerator on a plate between two damp paper towels. Cover the dish with plastic wrap. keep the towels moist but not wet and after a month or so the seeds will sprout. Then is when you plant them into pots.

You Tube has many videos on how to graft. This one worked for me.
Apple grafting

Be careful it can become an addicting hobby

The essence of the shot is how you shoot the bird, not how many. George Bird Evans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 08:48 PM

I will get scions ..........so that's what that means .Toyota scion graff from ....?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 12:25 AM
Frequent Contributor

Ok.. Explain? Why is grafting needed?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fman
Ok.. Explain? Why is grafting needed?
Apples do not breed true to seed. In other words if you plant a Yellow Delicious apple seed you won't get a Yellow Delicious apple tree. You will probably get a "spitter" a small bitter apple,which may be fine for deer food but not one that you would want to eat. College's with apple breeding programs plant thousands of apple seeds a year in the hope of getting one tree that is worth growing for commercial use.
By grafting a one year old branch from a Yellow Delicious tree onto a "rootstock" you will have a tree identical to the tree you took the branch from.
There's nothing wrong with planting apple seeds for deer apples. I have several wild apple trees on my land that grew from seeds of old trees that early farmers planted and the deer clean them up as fast as they drop.

The essence of the shot is how you shoot the bird, not how many. George Bird Evans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page