White spruce? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

White spruce?

Anybody plant white spruce for wildlife cover?

How does it compare to Eurasian Norway spruce?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 08:50 PM

Re: White spruce?

I plant white pine. Native to PA and works great.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 10:45 PM

In the right conditions, white spruce will grow rapidly. It maintains it's lower branches. It will poke it's way thru heavy underbrush. Pa is also in it's natural range. The only downside is buck will rub to death.

Unlike white pine, which is subject to borer, white spruce appears to me to be very disease/pest resistant.

It is one of my favorites and have planted thousands. In a good year they will easily grow 12-18 inches.

Growing characteristics similar to Norway. I like White because it is native in parts of PA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Where would one get a few white spruce seedlings?

Any mail order sources?

Thank you
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 12:21 AM
The Man

I thought white spruce didn't hold it's lower branches unlike Norway Spruce? Read that a few times over at the QDMA forums.

Anyways, on my land which is sandy loom the white spruce grow very poorly. I planted 100 from the PGC 3 years ago and don't think any are over 20". I also have had 80% die off or were eaten. White pine on the other hand are growing very vigorously. The only downside is deer eat and rub them to death unless you put some rigid mesh tubes around them or the white bud caps on the top.

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy JM
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobsonknob
Where would one get a few white spruce seedlings?

Any mail order sources?

Thank you
I don't have my notes but I believe I got most of mine from DCNR when they sold trees. I do believe I did get some recently from PGC.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrroae
I thought white spruce didn't hold it's lower branches unlike Norway Spruce? Read that a few times over at the QDMA forums.

Anyways, on my land which is sandy loom the white spruce grow very poorly. I planted 100 from the PGC 3 years ago and don't think any are over 20". I also have had 80% die off or were eaten. White pine on the other hand are growing very vigorously. The only downside is deer eat and rub them to death unless you put some rigid mesh tubes around them or the white bud caps on the top.
They do seem to take a bit to get an established root system. But if they can get a start and have adequate moisture they will grow. Some I planted about 15 years ago are now 20-30 feet tall with branches still holding to the ground. They have also done a good job of crowding out hay scent fern under their branches, which is no small feat.

Those were planted in a good spot. I also planted some in a marginal spot, rocky, heavy fern, and shade. They have struggled. Now I have opened things up, they are getting more sunlight and they are above the ferns. I expect they have now developed a good root system and should begin to take off. Given moisture, sunlight and if they can survive the deer they will compete.

Meanwhile the white pine (which I also like)have been getting hit by the borer which takes out the tops and will develop multiple leaders. In one stand I planted probably 10% have been hit. Once these guys get above the ferns they too will take off with some growing 18-24 inches in a season. Ferns do take a toll on them. When the fern die they collapse on the pine and bend it to the ground. I try to get around before the start of the growing season and clear the fern away from the bent over pine. The spruce seem to take that beating a little better than the pine which has a more flexible stem.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 01:01 AM
Frequent Contributor

I like Norways for full sun areas, White spruce will tolerate some shade.I also like to throw brush around my trees to discourage any buck from rubbing his antlers on them.

Don't judge a man for what he has done but for what he has left behind...Hunts and lives in 3B
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 02:12 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have planted well over 100 white spruce. I had about 60% percent take. They do hold thier bottom branches, at least the ones I planted have. I also planted norway & blue spruce,scotch, austrian & ponderosa pine. You would probably be better diversifying the tre species you plant. It has worked well for me.

Flickengers nursery is mail order. I have never been disappointed with the stok I purchased.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 02:18 AM
The Man

Good info Bearhollow. I might try some more spruce in some openings I've made.

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy JM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page