Logging isn't easy - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Logging isn't easy

For the last several years I've been trying to get some habitat improvement accomplished through a logging operation. The target area is 50+/- acres that is wide open. It is primarily red oak, with ash, soft maple, and aspen in the mix. The red oak timber quality is very good, but healthy. There's really no reason to cut it at current prices.
What I'm actually looking to get cut is the soft maple, aspen, ash and a thinning of oak that has reached economic maturity. In another section of the property I would like to get the low quality soft maple, and the aspen, virtually clear cut.
So basically I'm looking for a pulp wood cut. The folks I've had look at it would like to cut the oak although they all acknowledge it doesn't really need it, and wouldn't cut it if it were their land.
So ... the question is, how can I get the work I want done? I have no expectation of getting rich. Masonite (CMI) is a pulp buyer and located 25 miles away.
Any recommendations?

I miss my hunting partner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Logging isn't easy

The logger I use I walk around with and help mark the trees.
I too like to leave my oak alone, but if you got 4 marketable oak close together take some to open up the canopy and leave some for seed.I just got done doing a aspen regen cut where he went in cut all the aspen and soft maple out.Told him not to touch any of the few Oak that was on the approximately 8 acres.I then went back in an hinged cut the remaining trees that were not marketable.about whats left in there are dogwoods and oak with a lot of sunlight on aspen stumps.This all went to Craftmasters

Don't judge a man for what he has done but for what he has left behind...Hunts and lives in 3B
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Weston - thanks for the reply. Was the aspen regen cut a heavy stand of aspen? Were your aspen in the 12 to 16 dbh range? Mine are more in clumps, 10 -16 dbh. If they regen - great. Not sure they will in my situation due to reduced sunlight.
Yep, understand the red oak thinning. Kind of my intent with the "economic maturity" phrase. There is always the need for pre-commercial thinning too.
Who did your work and would you recommend him? Can take this to PM if you would prefer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

Pm sent

Don't judge a man for what he has done but for what he has left behind...Hunts and lives in 3B
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

Your first step should be to hire a consulting forester not a logger. Somne loggers make good foresters but not all. You already found out the "why" part of hiring a forester. You need to get rid of low grade that nobody wants and you have no markets for it. The forester does. you are paying for his connections, babysitting service, and knowledge that you won't be getting high graded. Some of that oak etc.. may have to leave in addition to the low grade just to get some regen.
I would also look into what cost share funds are available in your county thru the NRCS. I have done several TSI jobs in Northen PA that were cost shared thru NRCS for forests that were in similar situations as yours. The cost share may help the logger that cuts it by dictating what has to be cut possibly making it more profitable for him or you could get some money for having him do things that may not be profitable to either of you but NRCS offsets that loss.
As far as getting rich that good your not planning on it. The unfortunate reality is you should be hoping you don't have to pay too much to have the work done and if it's really good it will be even all around for everyone.

Providing PA landowners with professional habitat strategies
PTA Dist 11
SFI #5899
QDMA LCPI

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have walked my land with consulting foresters a dozen times over the years. Nobody wants to be involved when they find out I'm not interested in cutting the oak. "Call me when you're ready to cut the oak." They agree now is not the right time, but would be willing to manage it if I want to.
I can see for 300 yards in some of this woodland. In many areas the pulp wood trees would create large enough openings for regen to occur. In other areas its more a matter of eliminating competition created by a tree that's not going to have wildlife value or long term economic value.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 01:59 AM
Sage

With all this cutting only certain species and not others, do you run the risk of creating a monoculture? What if gypsy moths come thru and kill off your oaks, then what?

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 03:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I will tell you straight up, theres nothing in it for the forester. Although alot of them have a genuine concern for doing whats right, alot of them also are looking at the dollars for them, thats why they are in business. You are only kidding yourself if you turn a blind eye to that. The stuff you want to cut is non-profitable to a logger or a forester. Those species are basically worthless, then factor in 50 mile round trips to your pulp mill with $4 per gallon diesel trucks. You should quickly get the picture. I'm in business to make money also, but I am just plain honest with people. I have helped quite a few members here with consultation, even once for a court case. If you asked me to do the job, I would do it on a split, with me getting 10% more than you because I have to move it and sell it. Thats the way its done with an honest logger, when dealing with non-valueable species.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

ever think to contact your local vocational technical school.

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:09 AM
Sage

The landowner could also just go in an drop the worthless trees by himself and let them lay if he wants to improve the stand.

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page