some.aspen regen cut - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

some.aspen regen cut

I am having a logger do aproximately 3 acres of clear cutting some aspen.leaving all the oak and hinge cutting what else I don't want.
He has taken some out and will probably finish up in the next couple weeks.
Along with the aspen regenerating on its own,I would like to try and taking some of the tops and sticking them in the ground.My question to whom ever wishes to give me an answer. Is how long do I make my cuttings? How do I store them? because I would want get them soon after they have fallen before the deer get them. and has anyone else have sucess doing this?
Thanks for any info.

Don't judge a man for what he has done but for what he has left behind...Hunts and lives in 3B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 11:52 PM
Part of the Community

Re: some.aspen regen cut

make cuttings from last years growth. 9-12 inches long. Dip in rooting hormone, bundle in roups of 25-50,pack in moist saw dust, refrigerate in dark 34 degrees. Plant as soon as you can in April/early May. Plug into ground leaving 1-2 buds above ground line.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 01:51 AM

If the area you are cutting gets good sun then I wouldn't waste my time. You'll have way more new shoots than you'll know what to do with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 02:40 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yep, agree with Bake. My aspen regen cuts have produced thousands of saplings. More than I could (or would) ever do through cuttings and planting. As long as it's a near clearcut you should spnd your energy in other parts of your property.

I miss my hunting partner
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 02:42 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have some areas I don't want to regen. If I cut in the spring after leaf out will that minimize regen?

I miss my hunting partner
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 02:52 AM

Just a thought, never actually seen it done, but in the upper midwest (Wisconsin, partso of the UP) where they are intentionally regenerating Aspen, they used to run very heavy disks over the root systems which would make them root coppice (i.e. sprout from roots) a whole lot.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the info guys.Since it sounds like I should have good regen I won't do as much as I had planned.But want to try some just for the fun of it.I do have alot of work scheduled on the rest of the proberty to do this spring.Still working on getting 17 acres hinged cut before spring tree planting gets here.

Don't judge a man for what he has done but for what he has left behind...Hunts and lives in 3B
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Frequent Contributor

Make sure you don't have too much shade in the area you are regenerating aspen. We generally do a 100% removal when for aspen. I don't blame you for leaving the oaks, but if your goal is the aspen, you may want to take some of them out as well.

There is no "X" in my bow!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper1
make cuttings from last years growth. 9-12 inches long. Dip in rooting hormone, bundle in roups of 25-50,pack in moist saw dust, refrigerate in dark 34 degrees. Plant as soon as you can in April/early May. Plug into ground leaving 1-2 buds above ground line.
Can peat moss be substituted for sawdust?

Thanks
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by btm137
Make sure you don't have too much shade in the area you are regenerating aspen. We generally do a 100% removal when for aspen. I don't blame you for leaving the oaks, but if your goal is the aspen, you may want to take some of them out as well.
x2....I wouldnt hinge cut anything in the aspen cut. If regeneration of aspen is your goal, cut everything as low to the ground as possible completely severing the tree. If you want to leave scattered oaks, make sure they are very scattered. For every tree you leave, you will get a decrease in aspen regeneration. Sometimes as much as 35% or more.

If you plant it, they will come!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page