Clover Planting Schedule - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Clover Planting Schedule

All-I appreciate everyone's help on identifying what to start my plot and trails with. Next question is, when is the best time to plant clover? I see on the whitetail institute website it states Mid-March? Is that too early for PA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 01:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Frost-seeding clover in PA is a late Feb through mid March type of thing.

Couple questions though....what is the current status of the plots and trails? Bare dirt? Grasses? Weeds?

Do you plan to spray the clover to help with weeds and grasses?

What equipment do you have at your disposal?

Spring plantings are tough (main issue is weeds). Depending on the answers to the above, you may be best to prep the plots and trails for a fall planting of clover with some oats/barley/wheat/rye for a lush clover plot/trail for the spring of 2021.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 08:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

dad and have a small plot roughly 1/4 acre . when we do it we spray it with weed killer , 3 to 4 weeks before we harrow it under. then dad drags it with an old shaker screen. then we plant , fertilize , pelitize lime , then drag it again . then pray for rain. we usually do it mid to late August. hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

OAWC-It's technically the backyard of the cabin. Right now it is a mixture of grasses, clover, cover crop and weed. I planted a mixture seed last year, but it got overtaken by weeds until we mowed it and then the clover and see took over. The clover didn't get much time to establish before the deer took over.

So far we have raked the ground to break it up and remove all of the dead growth from last year. Since it is less than a 1/4 acre, I have no problem spraying it for weeds, but I'm not sure what to spray to kill the weeds, but not kill the clover. I also want to plant clover on our trails which are just bare dirt at this time.

My equipment consists of a mower, hand rake and backpack sprayer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAWC View Post
Frost-seeding clover in PA is a late Feb through mid March type of thing.

Couple questions though....what is the current status of the plots and trails? Bare dirt? Grasses? Weeds?

Do you plan to spray the clover to help with weeds and grasses?

What equipment do you have at your disposal?

Spring plantings are tough (main issue is weeds). Depending on the answers to the above, you may be best to prep the plots and trails for a fall planting of clover with some oats/barley/wheat/rye for a lush clover plot/trail for the spring of 2021.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 11:56 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater86 View Post
Since it is less than a 1/4 acre, I have no problem spraying it for weeds, but I'm not sure what to spray to kill the weeds, but not kill the clover.
Butyrac (2-4DB) will kill broadleaf weeds(not clover)
Clethodim will kill grasses

Imox will kill both broadleaf weeds(not clover) and grasses
joe8768, cspot and OAWC like this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 02:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater86 View Post
OAWC-It's technically the backyard of the cabin. Right now it is a mixture of grasses, clover, cover crop and weed. I planted a mixture seed last year, but it got overtaken by weeds until we mowed it and then the clover and see took over. The clover didn't get much time to establish before the deer took over.

So far we have raked the ground to break it up and remove all of the dead growth from last year. Since it is less than a 1/4 acre, I have no problem spraying it for weeds, but I'm not sure what to spray to kill the weeds, but not kill the clover. I also want to plant clover on our trails which are just bare dirt at this time.

My equipment consists of a mower, hand rake and backpack sprayer.
RGrizz gave you good info on the spray to use on the clover. I have not used Imox, but cspot has had good results with it. I have used Butyrac 200 and Clethodim separately with good results on our clover.

For the trails that are bare ground - pick up some clover seed soon and let Mother Nature help you out with the frost. Take a look at the extended forecast and seed the clover (a little heavier than you would with a warm season planting) when there is still a week or two of freezing temperatures over night. The frost heaving the ground up and subsequently melting pulls the clover seed down into the soil for you. Then when the warmer temps allow, the seed will germinate for you and get going before a lot of other plants and weeds.

Do the trails get enough sun for the clover to do well?

For the 1/4 acre plot, I would spray with at least the Clethodim for the grasses (and maybe Butyrac for the broadleafs if they are bad) through the spring and early summer to see how the clover responds. Going that route might save you some time and money. If the results are not what you are looking for, then you could do a Labor Day time planting with clover and oats/barley/rye. Spring of 2021 you can mow of the cover crop and the clover should be rolling.
cspot likes this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 06:58 PM

OAWC and others gave you some good advice above. Also when you spray in the summer, I wouldn't hesitate to spot spread some seed if you have some spots with no clover. This way when the spray kills the grass/weeds the clover seed should germinate. The dead plants will help hold the seed and the moisture. I just frost seeded and limed yesterday at my camp in Ohio. Only difference is it was my front yard.
OAWC and NorthernPotterCo like this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!

Last edited by cspot; 02-09-2020 at 07:40 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 07:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for all the info guys!
OAWC likes this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 05:02 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Planted clover last fall & want to frost seed mid March. I tried butyrac for weeds no luck. Is there an alternative I could use?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutnstuff View Post
Planted clover last fall & want to frost seed mid March. I tried butyrac for weeds no luck. Is there an alternative I could use?
Imox is what I have been using. It kills grass and weeds. Here is the thread about it.

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/41-...herbicide.html

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page