Habitat Goals for 2020 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Habitat Goals for 2020

Ok. That time of the year again. What plans do you have for the new year. My list isn't that big this year for a change. LOL.

PA.
1. Kill and replant food plot that I have on a gasline. Going to plant clover on it. The deer ate it into the ground pretty hard last winter and the weeds overtook it this year.
2. Plant my annual plot that I do every year. Not sure what I will plant, but will probably just do something simple like oats or winter wheat.
3. Other than that just some mowing and maintenance.

OH.
1. Will probably spot frost seed my 2 clover plots in the woods. They are pretty good, but have a few spots where the clover is light. Will probably respray the imox on them as well.
2. Going to spray the sides of my trails to kill the briars to keep them from overgrowing. I did this 2 years ago and it worked great. I think I used crossroads or something like that. I want to do it again to keep the stuff killed back.
3. The neighbor isn't putting the hay up on my field that was there when I bought the place. It is only about a half-acre (picture below) and he only gets about 1 bale off of it. LOL. So since he doesn't want to mow it, I am now going to plant it. Downside is it is a bit steep and I don't want mud to wash into my driveway. My plan is to frost-seed it and then spray with imox in May-June time period. I will probably throw some more seed on it when I do this. This way I won't have an erosion problem. This plot won't be for hunting, but just wanted to give the deer some more to eat at night. The neighbor across the road said he got more deer pictures this year across from me than he ever has. Said my two plots in the woods was pulling the deer in.
4. Just some maintenance and mowing.

Untitled by cspot12, on Flickr

All in all it really won't be that much work compared to what I did the last few years.

I did get a head start though as I got soil samples from the Ohio plot when I was there over the weekend, and got the one clover plot today in PA. Will probably send them in later this week. I would like to put some lime down if needed this winter.
loridr, OAWC and NorthernPotterCo like this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 12:14 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Property 1

1. Work on perimeter blockades.
2. Cut more trees on travel corridors to thicken them up.
3. Cut and clear trees from a food plot with my new Kubota and EA grapple.
4. Lime plots
5. Dig out 4 water holes.
6. Spray plots with gly.
7. Plant fall plots. LC mix

Property 2

1.Cut and stump treat lots of striped maple,birch and grape vines from a area I cut 7 years ago.
2. Rethink a new food plot layout. May involve a dozer or excavator.
3. Dig a few water holes.
4.Lime plots.
5. Spray and plant fall plots.
cspot and OAWC like this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 02:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

dad and I had some logging done last year . redo our food plot and seed logging roads for the deer to eat , to keep them around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 08:44 PM
New Arrival

1. Plan on opening some more ground up and planting some fruit trees.
2. Spring we will be planting soybeans and corn
3. spraying and over seeding clover
4. late summer putting in fall blends

So I'm also going to over seeding my clover. I wanted to frost seed these plots as they were just put in the fall. When do you guys typically do this feb/march? And i also seeded these plots with oats to take some of the pressure off of the clover when is it ok to spray this and should i mow it down? It was pretty high but deer have taken care of some of it and certain parts of the plots are low but others are higher i didn't want it to shade out the clover.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 10:44 PM
Part of the Community

1. some hinge cutting to open up the canopy around a couple of white oaks
2. figure out how to divert/channel excess water from my food plot
3. frost seed some clover
4. plant buckwheat and then winter rye
5. keep up on the MFR reduction/eradication

Reward Equals Effort. Nothing is Free
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 09:07 AM
Frequent Contributor

This year is mostly all about our food plots:

1. I had two new plots in the woods made late last year. They will get more lime and either a soil builder or an annual clover. One is 1 acre and other is 1/4 acre. May try to make the 1/4 acre plot bigger, it was too wet with the excavator last year.
2. Our other 4 food plots of which are about 1 acre each will get rotated. One half we plant in a oats, winter peas, clover mix and other half gets brassicas. So those will switch sides.
3. We are going to do a 3 acre plot of corn this year. We were going to put this in last year but never dried up enough to get it in. Hopefully this is the year.
4. Plant some chinese chestnuts that I have growing in pots right now along the sides of my newly established food plots.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 11:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

good sounding plans , good luck with them.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar2 View Post
1. Plan on opening some more ground up and planting some fruit trees.
2. Spring we will be planting soybeans and corn
3. spraying and over seeding clover
4. late summer putting in fall blends

So I'm also going to over seeding my clover. I wanted to frost seed these plots as they were just put in the fall. When do you guys typically do this feb/march? And i also seeded these plots with oats to take some of the pressure off of the clover when is it ok to spray this and should i mow it down? It was pretty high but deer have taken care of some of it and certain parts of the plots are low but others are higher i didn't want it to shade out the clover.

I typically frost seed in Feb-March. As far as the oats I typically will just mow off the cover crop as it will die out instead of spraying.

Good luck with your plantings. I have always wanted to plant corn, but end up not doing it in the end.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Got my soil samples back today. Both need a good bit of lime and some fertilizer. The redneck plot is the one in PA and the Cabin plot is in Ohio. I thought the PA plot would be better PH wise than the Ohio one, but I guess I was wrong.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 06:14 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Wow, I'm not used to virgin ground having such high Ph.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page