Tips on Clearing New Forested Land - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Tips on Clearing New Forested Land

I have about 112 acres and would like to put a couple food plots on the land. It's currently all trees and pretty rocky (in the mountains). How have you cleared similar land? Did you remove all the rocks and stumps, etc. in order to get a decent food plot? Did you use a dozer, excavator, etc?

Was thinking of putting in a couple 1-2 acre plots.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 06:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

log the areas you want cleared and rent or hire someone to dig them out. just a suggestion
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 12:04 PM
The Man

Maybe you could post some pictures, so we could see what the land looks like.

There are different levels of "rocky!"

In some places, if you remove rocks, what is underneath is------more rocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 12:13 PM
The Man

May be better served to just clear cut or hinge cut a few 1 acre patches. Definitely cheaper.
Buckskin Dave likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 12:36 PM

Ideally you pay someone with a dozer to clear a couple of spots. However that can be expensive. We cleared by hand a couple 1/2 acre or slightly larger plots at our place in Ohio with a saw and mower. It had been timbered about 5 years prior so there was a ton of saplings and brush to cut plus alot of tree tops. It sucked but we got them in. Best time to cut the trees is in Jan-April especially if it is thick brush type stuff. Still have alot of stumps in there, but they really don't hurt anything. We just cut most of them off close to the ground. We still have yet to kill a deer in one of the food plots in the 3 years that they have been in. LOL.

T_00010 by cspot12, on Flickr

Untitled by cspot12, on Flickr

Untitled by cspot12, on Flickr

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 03:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Excavator to remove the stumps, dozer with rear ripper or a scarifier to remove everything subsurface and smooth it all out. Finish it with a tractor with a stone rake.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 03:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
Doing the same next year, If your young! Go for it. Old like me! Hopefully my Kubota will do the job, If not the heck with it.. I'll plant pear trees
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 09:44 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I partially cleared 2.5 acres a few years ago. I rented a d3 dozer. I couldn't push over some of the larger oaks,pine, hickory etc. Still have a few trees to clear. I used the down trees as a blockade around the plot with openings at certain corners for bow hunting stands. Took around 16hrs.

Also made a 1/2 acre plot in a day with a rented skidsteer and a mini ex. What the skid steer couldn't pushover the mini dug out. Still have a few medium size oaks to clear.

Made a 1 acre plot in the back of my place with a mini ex. Definitely the most challenging and still a work in progress 2 years later. Its on slight slope and heavily wooded and takes a 1 hr. just to get there. Mini ex is so slow.

If you go DIY rent the biggest equipment you can get. Safer and get more done in less time.

Remove as many stumps as you can or leave them high enough to see them.

Remember it's a food plot not a lawn or building pad. Doesn't have to see graded out. Least amount of top soil disturbance the better.
One Horn likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGAME View Post
I partially cleared 2.5 acres a few years ago. I rented a d3 dozer. I couldn't push over some of the larger oaks,pine, hickory etc. Still have a few trees to clear. I used the down trees as a blockade around the plot with openings at certain corners for bow hunting stands. Took around 16hrs.

Also made a 1/2 acre plot in a day with a rented skidsteer and a mini ex. What the skid steer couldn't pushover the mini dug out. Still have a few medium size oaks to clear.

Made a 1 acre plot in the back of my place with a mini ex. Definitely the most challenging and still a work in progress 2 years later. Its on slight slope and heavily wooded and takes a 1 hr. just to get there. Mini ex is so slow.

If you go DIY rent the biggest equipment you can get. Safer and get more done in less time.

Remove as many stumps as you can or leave them high enough to see them.

Remember it's a food plot not a lawn or building pad. Doesn't have to see graded out. Least amount of top soil disturbance the better.

Good points. I would add that sometimes you are better off paying someone to do it vs renting. Although it may not be as much fun. Depending upon what you are doing sometimes the rental costs is as much as paying someone. Generally speaking someone who owns the equipment will get alot more done in a day or two than you will especially if you have limited experience running the equipment. Just need to get prices and see.
One Horn likes this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 10:45 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Right on. Hiring it out would be the smartest thing to do if you dont have the time,$ or experience to operate. Plus on something big you can burn 85 gallons of diesel a day. That's alot of 5 gal. yellow cans.

Or like some else mentioned. Log/TSI property and have the loggers clear the plots as part of the deal.
Like already stated be careful your top soil doesnt get graded off into piles on the weeds edge of the plots.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page