Land Plan - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Unread 11-18-2019, 06:31 PM
Part of the Community

Good point by TroutBert. What kind of equipment do you have, or plan to acquire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Unread 11-19-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBlaster View Post
Exactly this. First step to this entire process is building a screen along the roadways. Mature bucks don't just hang out in view of the road too often.

You got that right. The only portion of my land viewable from the road is my yard, huge difference in how many bigger deer spend day light time on their feet on my land compared to when I bought it and it was more big ag fields. Cover is key in daylight.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Unread 11-20-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks for all your input guys!
Rgrizz - I have a few quads and a utv. I’ve been researching a pull behind brush hog for the utv to manage that. That would lead to buying some type of pull behind tiller to plant some plots.
There’s an apple tree down towards the house, and what looks like peach trees?? That need pruned. The neighboring fields are of same overall state at the moment, over grown. 45 acres that connects to an additional 48 acres. I’m sure the estate will be selling this eventually. I’m considering planting maybe pine trees along that boarder for a visual effect of what’s mine but still up in the air on if that’s what would look best.

In my head I would like to keep the majority of the land up top towards woods thick with some land clearing for paths and plots. That little patch of woods in the picture I figured would be a great place for a stand watching the woods line.

I’ve thought about Dunstan chestnut trees, crab apples right away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Unread 11-20-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

I’ve never hunted strictly field edge before. We have a camp with 26 acres near confluence that’s all woods and mountain. It’s been ---- trying to do true scouting and patterning up there with similar food sources and water everywhere you look. I’m hoping to be able to know that at 4:30 pm I’ll see doe and a few small bucks go to my plot or something Of that nature haha
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Unread 11-21-2019, 03:49 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarroll09 View Post
Thanks for all your input guys!
Rgrizz - I have a few quads and a utv. Iíve been researching a pull behind brush hog for the utv to manage that. That would lead to buying some type of pull behind tiller to plant some plots.

Iíve thought about Dunstan chestnut trees, crab apples right away.
My 2 cents says the first things to invest in would be a sprayer and a spreader. You can plan a fair number of different food plots without tilling/plowing.
https://www.qdma.com/easy-no-till-fo...ekend-seminar/

If you're going to plant chestnuts, don't feel obligated like you have to get Dunstans. They're the most accessible to buy, but there are plenty of other hybrids that are just as good. Don't be afraid to start chestnuts from nuts too. You'll usually need to order nuts in the fall though. Most places sell out quick.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Unread 11-22-2019, 06:51 PM

Good advice from the RGrizzzz there, If you search no till food plots on youtube you can get some ideas too about how to do it with only a small sprayer and some good planning/timing. I have plans to do something similar next year in a cornfield on a pretty big scale.

As far as pine trees I have had the best luck with Norway spruce, the deer tend to not eat them. White pine will be browsed heavily for the soft tender needles. Your mast trees will need protective shelters to keep from getting browsed and rubbed on, even then you will lose some.
OAWC likes this.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Unread 11-27-2019, 04:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Watch as many videos from Jeff Sturgis on youtube as you can before doing anything!!!
joe8768 likes this.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Unread 11-27-2019, 08:54 PM

You really donít need to buy a disc or tiller. I have used a backpack sprayer and then got an ATV sprayer to spray generic roundup. I also use a pull behind craftsman spreader to spread pelletized lime and fertilizer. You can find these cheap on Craigslist for @$50. Than I would drag a spring mattress frame around to scratch up the ground before planting small seeds like clover or brassica and also works very well with winter rye seed. Seed right before rain in the forecast and you would be good to go.

Most important get a soil test done

Life Member NRA
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Unread 11-28-2019, 03:22 AM

you can also go to a farm auction or farm equipment dealer and get a spring tooth harrow , small in size to pull behind atv and use a box spring mattress as a drag. that is what dad and I use at camp for our small plot
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Unread 11-28-2019, 04:01 AM

one other thing , before you harrow it under , spray it with weed killer and wait a few days before you harrow it under , to make sure it is dead

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in