Food plot successes and failures
Wanted to share some of my winners and losers this fall. A few winners, my plot screen grew great dispite planting it a few weeks later than I wanted to. Mowed, sprayed, limed, fertilized and drilled it at 12#/ac. It's around 8ft. now. The wet north facing plot that I frost seeded in March continues to thrive, I have not mowed it all season but fertilized ita few weeks ago with 150#/ac. each of 0-0-60 and 11-52-0. It's knee high and getting lots of action. The 2 main feeding plots of 1.2 and 2ac. were seeded in brassicas the 3rd week of July. Germination was perfect and the growing conditions couldn't have been better. Unfortunately they were consumed by pigweed, so to salvage them I sprayed the worst parts of both fields with Gly. towards the end of Aug. and hand picked the pigweed out of the parts that were not as inundated ( probably 5 or 6 hundred plants ) Labor day weekend I drilled oats, wheat and rye into the killed parts (130#/ac. ) and broadcasted straight rye into the parts that still had brassicas in them. The grains are doing great in both applications. In 2 smaller plots(1/2 and 3/4ac.) the brassicas are getting hammered so in one I broadcasted 130# rye and in the other I drilled rye/wheat combo at 120#/ac. both are doing well. My plot in the woods was a total failure, the worst I ever had. Out of the 4ac. I drilled with brassica, I think I got 40 plants 2in. high total. I tried to skip one of the golden rules of planting, addressing low Ph.(4.6-5.0). I thought I could overload it with 250-300# of 50-50-50 and get at least a 40-50% success but instead got a 0. After thinking about it for 2 weeks I was more inclined to believe that I still had residual 24D in the soil from not waiting long enough to plant. Anyway I drilled straight rye at 130#/ac. around Labor day and is looking great. In my neck of the woods you could not have had better weather to grow crops. Without mother natures help I would have really stank it up.