Persimmon Trees - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Persimmon Trees

Well I got my chestnut trees added this spring and now I'm looking at add persimmon's this fall. All the research I've done on them shows them being spotty to produce in PA. Has anyone had success with them growing and producing in PA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:39 PM

I have an old one up behind my house that produces pretty well. The deer love it. We are right on the northern part of their range though. I haven't done it, but I have been tempted to collect some seed from this one to plant more. I think if you want them to produce you need multiple trees as there are male and female trees. I think only the female trees produce fruit. Other than that I don't know much as the one's by me I think grew naturally or someone planted them a long time ago.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:48 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrom View Post
Well I got my chestnut trees added this spring and now I'm looking at add persimmon's this fall. All the research I've done on them shows them being spotty to produce in PA. Has anyone had success with them growing and producing in PA?
They grow well in the parts of PA that have a mild climate.

In the colder areas, not so much.

The climate of PA varies a great deal between south and north, and also varies a lot depend on the elevation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:56 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We have a couple at our place in Juniata County....they seem to do well in spurts, and then have a major winter die back. I would recommend planting trees from stock in their northern range....something we did not do.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:17 AM
Part of the Community

Check this place out. They should have persimmons that grow in PA. They're grown near Bloomsburg.
https://www.facebook.com/bluehillwildlifenursery/
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I will definitely check them out RGrizzzz, and update. Thank you!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:07 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have 5 trees in my back yard,all started from seeds about 8yrs ago.Seeds were bought from someone here on huntin pa. no longer remember who it was. Trees are now about 12 ft tall and 4 of the five have a good crop of fruit. Yes there has to be male and female tree. I believe I have 4 female and one male,and the male has no fruit. They were a real pain to get started and had to be watered and pampered continuously to get them to this point. The trees are now doing well on their own and require only an occasional trimming of the lower branches for ease of mowing around them.

I'm in cumberland co. if that helps and they are doing well here.

If anyone is interested ,save this post and PM me after Oct. when the fruit is ripe and I will send seeds from all 5 trees that I have. I think I remember keeping the seeds in the freezer over the winter,then planting them in pots in the spring. I think they have to go through a freeze before they will germinate.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:20 AM
Sage

I have a property in VA(near MD line) with tons of them growing. Deer love them!! Tried planting some seedlings here in PA (year York) with no success.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:55 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have pictures of the trees and fruit on the cloud ,if anyone can tell me how to get them here
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 03:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

We have some old mature ones in NW Columbia county, over 60 years old. The male tree blew over in a storm 5 or 6 years ago. Production of the 2 females dropped way off but we still get some persimmons and they have seeds. When there were more persimmons, I'd expect to see deer tracks around them when there was snow in December. I watched a few come in just before the end of shooting hours one year on the last day of rifle season. Dad moved either a seedling or a sucker quite a few years ago into the old pasture it started producing a couple years ago. Other seedlings or suckers I've grafted over to named varieties over the past 3 years. I expect to see fruit off the oldest of those soon.

Less successful, I have planted bare root from Missouri MDC and ones I grew from seed maybe 3-4 years ago. They have not taken off but not died out, just surviving with no love in shady brush or stiltgrass underneath a sparse canopy of black walnuts. I think I need to get the chainsaw going and use weedmats around them. I'd like to graft those all over to named varieties. I think MDC's stock is really nice and affordable.

The male/female question is complicated. They do tend to have male and female trees but female trees may have some male flowers. This seems to vary by variety and tree age. Plant enough seedlings and you'll have more males than you really need. You can find on the internet what a male flower and a female flower look like.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in