Brassica time - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Brassica time

After watching the weather last weekend, Wednesday afternoon looked very wet. So I left Tuesday after work and made it to the farm by 7pm. Had calibrated the drill the weekend before ( could only get it down to 11lbs/ac. with the gears ) so I taped off 2 openings with and got it down to 8lbs. I had also spread 2200lbs of 50-50-50 last weekend so I was ready to go. Started the first plot (.80 ac. ) around 7:50 and finished around 8:45. Started the next morning as soon as it was light enough to see the drill rows and finished 7.5 ac. in 7 hrs. I no sooner parked the tractor that it started raining, and rained steady for the next 3.5 hrs. I was very happy with the way the drill performed, I'm getting it figured out.( I rocked the drill back with the top link and was drilling between 0 and 1/4 in. thanks Griz) started with the additional cutters thinking it would help make the drill rows show up better which it did, but with the fields still holding a lot of moisture they got packed with dirt and rye residue.After 2 passes I removed them and threw them in the bucket and finished without them. I figured that the plots I drilled 8hrs doing it the way I used to do would have taken me 3-4 days and untold amount of hard labor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1586.jpg (2.07 MB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1593.jpg (2.22 MB, 30 views)
cspot and OAWC like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:35 PM
Part of the Community

Awesome to hear. Planning our fall mix now. Probably cereal grains and brassicas. Wound up with a pile of free Pennington seed from last year, so we'll save a few bucks and mix it in. Hoping to get a hall pass the first weekend or two of August to drill with dad.

Fyi. RTP now makes screw in covers to block off gates. You don't need tape anymore. Also, I started a Facebook group for owners. Take a look if you're interested. Trying to recruit more members.

Last edited by RGrizzzz; 07-21-2019 at 02:37 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I will look into the covers, thanks. They also make another gear plate for reduced seeding rates, but that sounds like more work than I care to do. The Facebook thing sounds interesting but i've never been on facebook. I'm not a real tech guy, more the ditch digger kind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:36 PM
Part of the Community

https://www.rtpoutdoors.com/product-...ed-cover-plate

Ours has the variable speed clutch, so we don't need different gears!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:20 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That's a lot of brassicas One Horn! The plots look great with the rye residue and the beautiful drill marks.

Color me jealous....I will be walking around sweating with the ol' shoulder strapped spin seeder after Dad runs the tiller.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:52 AM
Frequent Contributor

Count me in your group O, lol. That looks great One horn! Thanks for the pics
OAWC likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks guys, I'm real happy with the rye mulch layer O, will be adding to it this fall. Yes i'm a little heavy with the brassica this year, planing on some winter peas next year and the grain will also help to diversify somewhat this year. I ran the shoulder strapper 2 weeks ago on another property, a lot of walking for an old guy. Lucky you getting to plant with your pops, I miss those days
OAWC likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAWC View Post
Color me jealous....I will be walking around sweating with the ol' shoulder strapped spin seeder after Dad runs the tiller.

I am jealous too. A no till is on my bucket list.
OAWC and One Horn like this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:01 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Horn View Post
Thanks guys, I'm real happy with the rye mulch layer O, will be adding to it this fall. Yes i'm a little heavy with the brassica this year, planing on some winter peas next year and the grain will also help to diversify somewhat this year.
The rye mulch layer does look very nice. Did you have any trouble with the small seeds sticking to your packer wheels? They appear to have been gathering some mud in the pics.

Quote:
I ran the shoulder strapper 2 weeks ago on another property, a lot of walking for an old guy.
I should not complain about sweating while running the shoulder strapped spin seeder - it's a blessing to be physically able to walk on freshly tilled dirt as I throw out some seed. I very much enjoy being able to play in the dirt and grow stuff for the critters.

Quote:
Lucky you getting to plant with your pops, I miss those days
Amen to that!! I'm very thankful that I have Dad as a habitat partner, and I try to cherish each day we have in the field together...planting and hunting. Although, sometimes all he can do is shake his head when I start talking about the plans I have in mind....but he is always there to help make the plans happen.
cspot and kswiggy like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Didn't appear like that was an issue O, we will see, should be germinated by next weekend, and yes it was a muddy mess when I was done. A couple of hours the next day and it was ship shape. I feel very blessed to have a place to do this on, and the health to be able to enjoy it. Don't know what I would do without it
cspot and kswiggy like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page