Doves and Ducks, better late than never - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Doves and Ducks, better late than never

As usual, I am running behind schedule at the duck pond. Sunday morning I rolled out to the pond to put in a small plot for the doves and ducks, trying to make it a multiple species hunting spot.

With the use of the push mower, Dad's garden tiller, field rake, backpack sprayer, and a broadcast spreader, I planted some sunflowers, sorghum, oats, and barley. Hopefully something in the mix pans out for us. It's not a very big plot...but with the tools available, that's what I was able to do.

I also broadcast some millet seed on the mud flats and wet areas around the pond edge. I let the water down another 4" Sunday morning so I can hopefully seed some more millet tonight when I take the little man fishing (with more mud exposed). The button bush plants are doing well around the pond and around the blind.

The near end of the plot in the pictures is pretty wet - I put mostly barley/oats and millet there. The millet should be fine, and it will be a test for the barley/oats. We had lots of sun and wind Sunday during the day, so it should dry out pretty well. Not sure what it will be like after another rain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pike Pond Plot 20190630A.jpg (1.90 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Pike Pond Plot 20190630B.jpg (2.51 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Pike Pond Plot 20190630C.jpg (2.52 MB, 10 views)
cspot and rcshank85 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 04:30 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Nice work and pictures, looks like a real cool spot
OAWC likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 05:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

Nice work O. Thanks for the update and pics!
OAWC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:05 PM
Caz
New Arrival

Isn’t it considered baiting if you hunt waterfowl within a certain distance of a manipulated dove field? Or do you remove everything 30 days prior to your first waterfowl hunt?

5B 4B 4D
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:51 PM
Sage

Crop manipulation is planting a crop such as corn or other grain then brush hogging it down and hunting over the field. Planting food that waterfowl food or or food that doves eat and letting it stand and then hunting over it is not crop manipulation. However for doves, in many states, crop manipulation for dove hunting is , sadly legal, the PGC did it last year at Middlecreek in some fields. Draining down a pond or wetlands in order to plant a food source such as millet or smart weed is not considered crop manipulation by either state or federal law for waterfowl.
OAWC likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAWC View Post
As usual, I am running behind schedule at the duck pond. Sunday morning I rolled out to the pond to put in a small plot for the doves and ducks, trying to make it a multiple species hunting spot.

With the use of the push mower, Dad's garden tiller, field rake, backpack sprayer, and a broadcast spreader, I planted some sunflowers, sorghum, oats, and barley. Hopefully something in the mix pans out for us. It's not a very big plot...but with the tools available, that's what I was able to do.

I also broadcast some millet seed on the mud flats and wet areas around the pond edge. I let the water down another 4" Sunday morning so I can hopefully seed some more millet tonight when I take the little man fishing (with more mud exposed). The button bush plants are doing well around the pond and around the blind.

The near end of the plot in the pictures is pretty wet - I put mostly barley/oats and millet there. The millet should be fine, and it will be a test for the barley/oats. We had lots of sun and wind Sunday during the day, so it should dry out pretty well. Not sure what it will be like after another rain.

You may want to consider planting giant smart weed instead of millet or at least planting it in an area about 3 feet from the bank of the pond or wet area you are planting. Once you re-flood it, both doves and ducks will uses it.
OAWC likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I got some more millet seed broadcast with the pond another 4" lower. The shallow side exposes some nice mud flats when the water level drops. I snapped a few pics of the button bush as well.

Lucas had a good time fishing and trying out some new lures that a buddy gave him to try. I am not a fisherman by any stretch of the imagination....can anyone identify this fish as a bluegill, or is it a hybrid of some sort? No one ever put fish in the pond to our knowledge, so we assume some waterfowl brought in eggs on their feet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pike Pond Button Bush 20190701A.jpg (2.15 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Pike Pond Button Bush 20190701B.jpg (2.04 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Pike Pond Fishing 20190701.jpg (1.64 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Pike Pond Fishing 20190701B.jpg (1.64 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Pike Pond Fish 20190414.jpg (1.25 MB, 5 views)

Last edited by OAWC; 07-02-2019 at 01:10 PM. Reason: typo
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
You may want to consider planting giant smart weed instead of millet or at least planting it in an area about 3 feet from the bank of the pond or wet area you are planting. Once you re-flood it, both doves and ducks will uses it.
We have had some smart weed around the pond in the past, but not as much anymore. It would be a nice addition for sure. I will have to look around to see if I can find some seed. We have some growing around our food plots at the cabin....maybe I can go old school and gather some seed that way to plant at the pond.

The Japanese millet has done pretty well for us, as a planted complement to the "native" brown top millet that is growing there. The seed heads have a lot more seed as compared to the brown top.

Hopefully we get some rain this week so the plot can take off. It looked pretty dry last night. If it works out, should be a nice smorgasbord for the birds to hit. Time will tell.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAWC View Post
We have had some smart weed around the pond in the past, but not as much anymore. It would be a nice addition for sure. I will have to look around to see if I can find some seed. We have some growing around our food plots at the cabin....maybe I can go old school and gather some seed that way to plant at the pond.

The Japanese millet has done pretty well for us, as a planted complement to the "native" brown top millet that is growing there. The seed heads have a lot more seed as compared to the brown top.

Hopefully we get some rain this week so the plot can take off. It looked pretty dry last night. If it works out, should be a nice smorgasbord for the birds to hit. Time will tell.
Try here, they have pretty much all you need. https://www.kestersnursery.com/Wetland%20Plant's.htm
OAWC likes this.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Isnít it considered baiting if you hunt waterfowl within a certain distance of a manipulated dove field? Or do you remove everything 30 days prior to your first waterfowl hunt?
I'm sure that could put you in hot water pretty quickly....but we will not be manipulating the plot. We will let it stand into the winter.....not sure how well it hold up to the snow and ice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page