The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Food plot help.

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  NorthernPotterCo 
#1 ·
I will be planting four fields around the first week of August. Each of the fields are approximately 1 acre to 1.5 acres in size. I would like two of the plots to be primarily clover with something else mixed in. Also, the other two I don’t know what direction to go in. In the past, I’ve had serious issues with weeds choking out the plots so I plan to buy a sprayer for the back of my quad. Where are you guys getting you seed for plots? For location, the plots will be in the beaver county section of 2A. Thanks for any assistance in advance.

#2 ·
So I'm knew to food plotting, my friend just recently purchased 50 acres so this is our first year. I've been doing a lot of reading and we planted our first food plot about a week ago, I was also worried about weeds so we went with round up ready eagle seed forage soybeans. Might be an option for you next year if your worried about weeds and want an annual. For your clover plots you could till and cultipack get your seed beds ready then wait a couple weeks before planting see what weeds come up spray them, then u can plant and just run a culipacker over the prepared bed with out discing or tilling. Anytime you disc or till you will bring up weed seeds to surface. With planting clover it seems like there is always work to be done with weeds broadleaf and grasses, seems like mowing and herbicide to help control them. With our soybeans our plan is to broadcast with a fall blend into the beans to provide a cover crop and food all winter and into the spring. we're going with the eagle seed blends.

#4 ·
I would probably wait one more month and plant the 1st or 2nd week of September. You're really not gaining anything except weed growth (and a possible need to mow) by planting in August. I'd add winter rye and oats to the clover as well (maybe some peas or forage radish). The winter rye will help you with your weed control the following spring as well. Then again I'm just learning this stuff as well. Good luck.

#5 ·
As TBrom said, first week of August is a little early for clover and cereal grains. Typically in our area, brassicas (turnips, rape, etc) are planted in early August....with clover and cereal grains going in the ground around Labor Day (although last year with the rain and football season, we did not get ours in until Sept. 20th or so....and with the rain we still had great growth).

Spring planting is a tough battle with the weeds. The nice thing about fall planting is the weeds are much easier to control...there might be a few pop up, but the first good frost will zap them. You can seed cereal grains (oats, rye, wheat, barley) pretty heavy (100-150lbs or more per acre) so it does not leave much room for weeds. If doing brassicas in August, the weeds have more of a chance to get a grip. Seeding for those is touchy - not enough seed, you leave space for weeds and your plants do not quickly shade out the weed competition.....too much seed, weeds are not as much of an issue, but the plants compete with each other and yields can suffer.

Rye is a great soil builder as well as weed suppressant - and it grows pretty much anywhere. If you go with rye, be prepared for the tremendous amount of biomass the following spring. If you have the equipment to do so, it is a fabulous choice....but it can get 4-5ft tall, which is makes it difficult to manage without the right equipment.

#9 ·
First let me say that if you plant clover use a cover crop like rye to start it. you will have rye this year and clover in the spring. You will nee to mow the rye next year once it goes to head. this will also help with weed control. I use OUTSIDE PRIDE for all my seed. They have a web site. good luck with your planting. One note, plant end of August

#11 ·
I like what OAWC said. Only thing I’ve done from experience is use oats as cover crop when planting clover. Typically the second week of sept. I’ve found the oats will be more food for deer in the Fall and die over the winter thus eliminating having to deal with rye, WW, or other growing next spring. Usually lightly frost seed more clover seed on Plot late feb to early March. Also when planting in September I add some Dwarf Essex Rape to the oats/clover. Not going to get the growth the late July / early August rape would get (may get 6”) but adding a little also gives the deer more food. Also use Merit Seed in Ohio.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.