No till drill - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

No till drill

Anyone have or use a no till drill on their plots? Just wondering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:19 AM
Part of the Community

Yes. A few folks do. What questions do you have?
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I’m in the process of pricing planters. Leaning towards a Great Plains. I’m excited to transition over to no till. No real questions was wondering how many people are going no till
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 12:04 PM
Part of the Community

What size? If you havent tried one yet, some county conservation districts will rent you one. I know Lycoming county has a crust buster. Hoover tractor has an RTP Genesis 5 that they rent out. We just planted for the first time with a Genesis 3 this spring. Went pretty well, but still need to see how things grew. The calibration process is pretty slick compared to some of the other models I read about.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 12:55 PM
New Arrival

What did you plant w the genesis 3? I’d be interested in hearing how things grew. I’ve been looking at no tills also those genesis seem easy w the calibration I wondered how well they worked.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 09:04 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

One Horn has a nice drill...of which I am very jealous! Maybe someday I will have one....but for now we will till and broadcast. There is something about turning dirt though....not sure what it is.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 09:45 AM
DDX
Frequent Contributor

Fayette Co has two 7 foot Great Plains and a 3 foot Esch drill. I used the 3 foot one last week and it worked great. It is made by amish in Lancaster Co and is very nice (and very expensive $16K) but it is ideal for plots. Trouble with most small ones is they are to light. This Esch weighs 3500lbs and is battery operated up and down. The Great plains 7 footers are good but you need a 75 hp tractor or bigger and you need rear hydraulics. I used a 26 hp 3 cylinder diesel 4x4 tractor and it was a load going up and down hill. Esch says you can use a big UTV with it but I would not on anything other than flat ground.

Last edited by DDX; 07-01-2019 at 09:53 AM.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 11:37 AM
New Arrival

Where do you rent the one from in Fayette county? We’re in Allegheny is that a prob renting from them if we don’t live in that county? We have a 30 hp Kubota and can’t pull any of those bigger ones that 3 ft wld be nice. Is it a 3 pt hitch model or tow behind.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 11:41 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar2 View Post
Where do you rent the one from in Fayette county? We’re in Allegheny is that a prob renting from them if we don’t live in that county? We have a 30 hp Kubota and can’t pull any of those bigger ones that 3 ft wld be nice. Is it a 3 pt hitch model or tow behind.
Sounds like a tow behind if the manufacturer says you can use a UTV to plant with it. The weight is nice for doing the no-till planting....as long as the pulling machine can handle it. I would be willing to give it a try with our 35hp tractor.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 12:03 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar2 View Post
What did you plant w the genesis 3? I’d be interested in hearing how things grew. I’ve been looking at no tills also those genesis seem easy w the calibration I wondered how well they worked.
Planted this. It's a mix of the following. Seemed to do decent, depending on the quality of the ground and how well we burned down the existing vegetation. We fenced in a small area, and it looks pretty good. The drill worked great in all areas we tried to plant. Two pics below of areas with better soil.

https://www.kingsagriseeds.com/wp-co...Summer-Mix.pdf

61% Cowpea
11% Sorghum Sudan AS6501
7% Daikon Radish
7% Hybrid Pearl Millet
5% Sorghum Sudan AS6401
4% Peredovik Sunflower
3% T-Raptor Hybrid Brassica

Inside the fence:
Unfenced:
LONZO and cspot like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page