Unimpressive clover plots - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Unimpressive clover plots

How are you clover plots looking. I am not happy with the 2 clover plots I have.

The first plot was planted in the fall 2017, with Biologic non-typical. I then frosted seeded more Biologic non typical March 2018. Last summer and fall there were a lot of bare spots. I did a soil test and the PH was either 6.5 or 7 but I needed to put down sme 0-52-0 fertilizer which I did. This past March I frosted seeded again with more of the Biologic.

The second plot was also planted an frost seeded as above but with Whitetail Institute clover and the PH was either 6.5 or 7 and just needed some fertilizer.

Two weeks ago, I sprayed slay and the additive that was recommended along with Post plus to both plots. I also put down some clover topper fertilizer that I get from Agway

Yesterday, I saw there was some signs of weeds dying off but not all and there was grass about 10 to 12 inches tall. So I mowed both plots and I am thinking if these plots don't improve I will probably over seed it with winter rye to fill in the bare spots.

I am thinking the amount of rain we receive in the last two years had a negative effect on these two clover plots in addition to my 2 brassica plots that I planted last year.

I have been doing food plots since 2003 and over the years I had some beautiful looking clover plots.

Life Member NRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I am not an agronomy expert by any means....but I like to plant clover seed that is meant for this region. WI and Biologic are both far South companies that attempt to provide a seed that will grow anywhere in the whitetail range - a difficult task to say the least.

Also, some of those seed mixes have annual clovers in them....some in a pretty high percentage of the mix. The rain last year and so far this year have had no ill effects on our existing and new clover plots. I pick up my stuff at a local seed store that has options meant for PA. If you need help getting such seed, hit me up. I can possibly buy it and ship to you in the future.

Rye is always a good option to patch up a plot, so you will definitely not go wrong there.

Another thing of note on the spray - Slay is uber expensive for what it is....marketing ploy at its best. Check out some of cspot's posts about using the new Imox spray (generic Raptor). It will take out broadleaf weeds and grass is one fell swoop....and probably much much cheaper than your current spray selections. If you do not like the the Imox option, Clethodim for grasses and Butyrac 200 for broadleaf weeds (also goes by 24DB). Note that you cannot tank mix the Cleth and 24DB. Even if you order online, with the shipping it will likely be cheaper than Slay and Post.
One Horn likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:45 PM
Part of the Community

Oawc knows his stuff. Also, make sure you read the herbicide label. There are usually recommendations about weed height/size and when not to mow around the times you spray. Deer don't mind the weeds, so don't sweat it too much.
OAWC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:49 PM

I will say that the one clover plot I have in PA (same one I sprayed with Imox last year) is looking a little rough. The deer ate it down to the mud in the winter and it has been slow to rebound. There is clover there, but with it's slow start it has allowed many weeds to get going. I will probably spray in another month. I mowed it the other day and it looks better now than it did a month ago.
OAWC likes this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!

Last edited by cspot; 06-02-2019 at 10:52 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 09:41 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Not sure of your planting history with those plots but taking a break from the clover for a year is never a bad idea. Maybe some RR beans ( help with the weed control ) or buckwheat, and follow that up with cereal grains this fall, then back into clover next year. I've been using some Fridge Forage ( out of Minnesota ) products lately and have been happy with them so far
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:04 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAWC View Post
Note that you cannot tank mix the Cleth and 24DB.

Just curious if you know why you can't tank mix them? I've been adding both to my sprayer tank when adding water the last couple of years without any issues. My tank hasn't exploded (at least not yet) and they seem to kill the grass and broad leafs ok.
Don't know if I've been lucky I haven't exploded my tank or if there are other issues I'm not noticing?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

One horn. I also have been using Big n Beasty from Frigid Forest for the last 4 years. The first two years I was very impressed with the brassicas they grew over two feet. Last year Plot did not come out that well and I even hit the plot with urea right before a good rain when the plots were about 4 inches high. I donít think the plant didnít get higher than 12 inches.

Life Member NRA
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 03:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
Just curious if you know why you can't tank mix them? I've been adding both to my sprayer tank when adding water the last couple of years without any issues. My tank hasn't exploded (at least not yet) and they seem to kill the grass and broad leafs ok.
Don't know if I've been lucky I haven't exploded my tank or if there are other issues I'm not noticing?
Hmmmm......good question. I have never attempted, just know that I read not to do it. Perhaps the effectiveness is reduced? I would have to research that.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Hmmmm......good question. I have never attempted, just know that I read not to do it. Perhaps the effectiveness is reduced? I would have to research that.
I did not do much research yet, but here is something that I found pretty quickly. I guess if you keep the surf to a reasonable level, you should be OK....too much and the 24DB might hurt your clover a little bit.

"It is usually recommended to use a surfactant and not a crop oil when mixing Butyrac (2,4-DB) and a grass selective herbicide. Here is the problem when adding 2,4-DB to your tank mix with a grass selective herbicide and a surfactant. The added surfactant also increases the effectiveness of the 2,4-DB and can burn and temporarily injure the crop you are trying to protect if you were to use too much of the surfactant. It is recommended that you do not use more than 1.5 quarts per acre of 2,4-DB when mixing with a grass herbicide. This is why it is important to read the labels of both herbicides you will be spraying and specifically the sections for mixing compatible chemicals."

Pulled from Mossy Oak's web page.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:14 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
I did not do much research yet, but here is something that I found pretty quickly. I guess if you keep the surf to a reasonable level, you should be OK....too much and the 24DB might hurt your clover a little bit.

"It is usually recommended to use a surfactant and not a crop oil when mixing Butyrac (2,4-DB) and a grass selective herbicide. Here is the problem when adding 2,4-DB to your tank mix with a grass selective herbicide and a surfactant. The added surfactant also increases the effectiveness of the 2,4-DB and can burn and temporarily injure the crop you are trying to protect if you were to use too much of the surfactant. It is recommended that you do not use more than 1.5 quarts per acre of 2,4-DB when mixing with a grass herbicide. This is why it is important to read the labels of both herbicides you will be spraying and specifically the sections for mixing compatible chemicals."

Pulled from Mossy Oak's web page.
Thanks for the information. I was concerned I was creating some sort of "bomb" in my sprayer by mixing the two chemicals. Now I just make sure I use less than 1.5 quarts of 2,4-DB per acre.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page