Buckwheat? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Buckwheat?

Yesterday I broadcasted buckwheat into one of my food plots to suppress the weeds and to build up my soil for my fall plots. I want to plant oats in this plot this fall. After broadcasting the seed I ran over the plot with my cultipacker.

For the last two years this plot was planted in brassicas and last year I wasnít impressed with the way it came out. My soil test was 6.7 ph and I put the recommended fertilizer down and then about a month later hit it with urea.

My question since this is the first time I ever planted this what do I need to do next. Do I let it grow all summer and then mow it down. Kill it with roundup and then comeback and disc it under . I tried to do my due diligence and I looked on QDMA website and other food plot sites I visited to no avail.

Life Member NRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:23 AM
Part of the Community

We plant buckwheat every year. Have great success with it deer eat plants as soon as it breaks ground , and do so for a few months, then turkey's move in when plants go to seed. If you already have it planted it will be past maturity mid September. I would just mow it and disc stalks under. It doesn't seem to root that deep.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:42 AM
Part of the Community

Why werent you happy?

What are you going to plant in the fall? Brassica again? I would spray OR mow it depending on your preference( and weeds), then broadcast the brassica, and cuktipack it down. No need to disc it in. Tillage isn't necessary for Brassicas. Maybe add some fertilizer too.

Last edited by RGrizzzz; 05-19-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:45 AM

The early pioneers figured out that buckwheat was a very forgiving plant, it would tolerate the poor soils encountered in the higher elevations here in Pa. My great grandparents and grandparents grew it every year in Northern Centre County.. itís also a legendary nectar source for honeybees, and yields an extremely dark honey that was once popular with Eastern European immigrants.

You should be able to mow it and disc/ till it under and replant. No reason I can see to spray with Roundup.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Grizz my brassica plots were planted with Big N beasty that I get from Michigan usually they grow over two feet but last year I would say they grew 7 or 8 inches where it did grow, There was a lot of bare dirt and hardly any bulbs grew and by September I had to over seed with winter rye.

I rotate my plots and last year brassica plots will be planted with oats and winter rye this fall. I also will plant brassica in the plots that I had planted with oats last year.

Life Member NRA
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:22 PM
Part of the Community

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:07 AM
Part of the Community

It is a great summer annual. Depending on your seeding rate you could have alot of bio-mass to deal with come planting time for your oats. If it's like a jungle I would mow it 3 or so weeks before planting then it will be easier to turn disk in with the oats, if it's not that thick you could just turn it in after seeding. I usually mow mine because I usually plant it heavy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:17 AM
Part of the Community

Following the buckwheat with brassica is a little easier because by mid to late July it's not as tall, just broadcast your brassica, fertilize, and mow. Then sit in the shade with a cold one. You can also mess around with a later planting date for the buckwheat with an oat rotation, that way there is less plant material to deal with come Labor day

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page