Feild corn - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Woods walker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Feild corn

Want to plant 4 acres of corn for the deer and turkeys. What would ya'll recommend to use? I do not need to use trait-ed corn just something that wont break the bank. Why couldn't I use shelled or ear corn? I had someone say can use ear corn to plant but not shelled. Any input Johns town pa area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:54 PM
Sage

I don't know What they meant by planting ear corn but not shelled corn. All corn has to be shelled from the cob to be planted. If you have access to shelled field corn from a farmer try planting some seeds after the chance of frost is over, usually around memorial day, and see if it germinates or just plant some kernels in paper drink cups now and sit them on a window sill and see if it germinates. I planted a field of sunflowers one year from seeds that were sold for birds feed instead of expensive seed that were meant for planting. It grew fine.
jimbridger likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:03 PM
Banned

If you know a farmer the plants open pollinated corn you can definitely just go by shelled corn and plant it. A lot of field corn that this planted is a hybrid and if you re-plant it may grow but generally will not make an ear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:41 PM

Look at Rural King if there is any in your area. They have some decent prices on corn. Corn is a fertilizer hog though, and if the ground isn't good then it won't produce much.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 10:46 AM
Part of the Community

NWTF has a free seed program if you're a member. It may be too late to order for the year though.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I wasn't sure myself but they said that corn that is still on the ear and then stripped would take better that shelled . I dunno just what I was told.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 09:36 AM
Part of the Community

The reason they say plant ear corn is that shelled corn has been though a dryer and heated. Some will sprout, but most wont. You do need to shell the ear corn to plant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page