The power of rye - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

The power of rye

I took these 2 pictures this weekend to show why Iím such a fan of ending my planting season with the addition of rye into all my plots. Itís cheap, easy to grow, stays green all winter, the first thing to start growing in the spring, a great soil builder and weed suppressor. The deer in my area are nutritionally stressed by early spring and hit the plots hard as soon as the snow comes off them. Itís the only thing green in March and early April and I believe itís a big help until the other plants wake up. Once they stop feeding on it you can plow it into the soil, mow it until you want to plant something else in its place or let it grow tall then spray it with gly and drill through it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1310.jpg (2.20 MB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1309.jpg (2.24 MB, 35 views)
bigguy54 and Hsimmons6351 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:09 PM

Yes winter wheat or rye are great. Another great thing is they grow in just about ever soil type and condition too. It is about the easiest thing to grow.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

For sure, almost full proof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:13 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Horn View Post
I took these 2 pictures this weekend to show why Iím such a fan of ending my planting season with the addition of rye into all my plots. Itís cheap, easy to grow, stays green all winter, the first thing to start growing in the spring, a great soil builder and weed suppressor. The deer in my area are nutritionally stressed by early spring and hit the plots hard as soon as the snow comes off them. Itís the only thing green in March and early April and I believe itís a big help until the other plants wake up. Once they stop feeding on it you can plow it into the soil, mow it until you want to plant something else in its place or let it grow tall then spray it with gly and drill through it.
Amen to that! Plots look great.
One Horn likes this.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:22 AM
Frequent Contributor

That exclusion cage picture says a lot.
OAWC and jeffppc like this.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
For sure, almost full proof
I'll just come up with a better fool!
One Horn likes this.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:21 AM
Part of the Community

Any specific reason why you pick rye over winter wheat? Also, when do you plant it?
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

No particular reason Grizz, I've used wheat in the past and it also worked well. Maybe i'll try a side by side comparison this fall for something to do. I like around Labor day and watch the weather. If i'm putting it in with a nice plot of brassica I broadcast about 150lbs. per ac. If I drill, about 80lbs
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
No particular reason Grizz, I've used wheat in the past and it also worked well. Maybe i'll try a side by side comparison this fall for something to do. I like around Labor day and watch the weather. If i'm putting it in with a nice plot of brassica I broadcast about 150lbs. per ac. If I drill, about 80lbs
I have planted winter wheat and rye side by side and never could really tell any difference in preference by the deer. Both seem to give the same performance.

As far as planting dates I usually go from Labor Day till mid September. You can actually plant later but I like it coming up pretty good by the time bow season comes around.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:09 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Rye would get the edge over winter wheat in my book. It scavenges nutrients better....adds more biomass to the plot with its root system. However, from a logistics standpoint, rye can create more of an issue the following summer as it gets fairly tall - great for fawning cover, but can be tough to mow for guys with limited equipment. Also, I think rye continues to grow at a lower temperature than WW - which is why folks like it for early spring forage for a deer herd seeking quality forage at its most desperate time of year.

We actually started using barley in place of rye in most plots - mainly because it heads out early in the summer, providing a great food source for hen turkeys and their poults.
Nightblaster and cspot like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page