• 1 Post By One Horn
  • 1 Post By delphic93
  • 1 Post By TBrom
  • 3 Post By One Horn
  • 3 Post By TBrom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Time to frost seed

I am hoping to frost seed some clover next week in Susquehanna county. The weather looks like it will be high 40s during the day and below freezing at night for a good 10 days.

For the past 12 or so years that I have been frost seeding and I never thought about this. Is it better to frost seed while the ground is frozen or later in the day. I personally don't think it matters.

Life Member NRA

Last edited by joe8768; 03-06-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe8768 View Post
I am hoping to frost seed some clover next week in Susquehanna county. The weather looks like it will be high 40s during the day and below freezing at night for a good 10 days.

For the past 12 or so years that I have been frost seeding and I never thought about this. Is it better to frost seed while the ground is frozen or later in the day. I personally don't think it matters.

I don't think it matters as it is the thawing/freezing action that gets the seed down in the ground. I know some people that like to do it on top of snow as you can see where you have already seeded.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 09:14 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

This looks like the weekend for my perennial clover in Potter Co. Just returned from southern Michigan, was on a habitat tour of Jake Ehlinger's property so i'm all excited to get something done on the farm
cspot likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 09:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

I frost seeded this past weekend up in Tioga county. There was about 2 inches of snow on the ground so we will see what happens. Being that I live 4 hours from property and next time I will be up is youth turkey weekend, I had no choice but to do it then.
dtownpat likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 10:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
I don't think it matters as it is the thawing/freezing action that gets the seed down in the ground. I know some people that like to do it on top of snow as you can see where you have already seeded.
I agree with C's post. If the ground is kinda sloppy when it's thawed, it might be easier to walk as you seed if the ground is still frozen, but the seed does not care. The freeze/thaw action draws the seed down into the soil.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 10:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Horn View Post
This looks like the weekend for my perennial clover in Potter Co. Just returned from southern Michigan, was on a habitat tour of Jake Ehlinger's property so i'm all excited to get something done on the farm
Good stuff? Care to share what you learned/picked up while on the tour?

From what I have read/watched, I like his approach to things since Michigan has a higher hunter density, small parcels, and lots of pressure like PA.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 10:16 AM

Over seeding my brassica plot tomorrow (3/11). Looks like we're on the backside of old man winter.
cspot likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 10:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Just in from Potter Co.,the frost seeding was a bust.The field had about 6 inches of snow over top a thin layer of ice. This being my first attempt I thought that much snow was questionable so I got the brainy idea to push the snow off first. After pushing off half of it I came to the conclusion that the rain that was arriving Saturday would wash the seed off of the sloped plot before it melted the ice. I'll try again this coming weekend. I parked the tractor, fired up the saw and dropped some big trees in a new bedding area i'm making.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1239.jpg (1.06 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1241.jpg (1,004.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1242 (2).jpg (1.22 MB, 6 views)
bigguy54, TBrom and cspot like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 04:17 PM

Well I over seeded my brassica plot taking sage advice from cspot. We'll see how it goes. If it doesn't take I'll dig it up and redo it in the fall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_4483 (Small).jpg (195.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_4484 (Small).jpg (121.0 KB, 3 views)
bigguy54, cspot and cstrouse like this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 04:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrom View Post
Well I over seeded my brassica plot taking sage advice from cspot. We'll see how it goes. If it doesn't take I'll dig it up and redo it in the fall.
Keep us posted on how it does!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page