Fast Growing Fruit/Nut Trees - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By RGrizzzz
  • 1 Post By Woods walker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Fast Growing Fruit/Nut Trees

I see a lot of people on here have planted a lot of different fruit and nut bearing tree/shrubs. Can some of you give your input on how fast these plants have beared fruit/nuts? Looking to add a variety of tree/shrubs that will help attract deer to some property as quick as possible.

Also anybody have success with growing any of these trees in moist-to-wet soil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 04:34 PM
Part of the Community

Generally the fastest nut producing trees are chestnuts and hybrid oaks. Decent overview of selections there. You may set dive Chestnuts in 4-5 years. And of the hybrid oaks could produce nuts in 5. Save 10% with the code QDMA.
https://www.nativnurseries.com/colle...specialty-oaks

Apple, crab apple, wild plum and pear are generally pretty popular fruit trees.

There are lots of places to get them. You'll likely wind up choosing, depending on budget. Bareroot are cheaper, but will take longer to get established. The PGC recently opened their seedling sale. Lots of states have different sales, and open at different times of year. I like the Missouri dept of conservation, but their sale opened in december, so your choices will be a little limited.

Lastly, deer protection is an important piece of the puzzle. Budget for tubes/fence and stakes. We use a mix of tubes and wire fencing, with PVC stakes.
OAWC likes this.

Last edited by RGrizzzz; 02-05-2019 at 08:39 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 04:42 PM
Sage

Not related to subject..
bigguy54 likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by RonM; 02-05-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 08:57 PM

Iíve bought a lot of bare root stock from the National Arbor Day Foundation. They are hardy trees. They sell dwarf, semi dwarf and full size stock. Iím old fashioned, I opted for full size apple and pear trees. Theyíre about 11-12 inches in diameter now, probably 15-20 years old and bear well for making cider every fall.full size trees take longer to bear, but when mature, will bear more fruit than the smaller stock. Iím
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 09:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I like the Missouri dept of conservation, but their sale opened in december, so your choices will be a little limited.

Lastly, deer protection is an important piece of the puzzle. Budget for tubes/fence and stakes. We use a mix of tubes and wire fencing, with PVC stakes.[/QUOTE]

In line with R.Grizz's info above. I have good success with swamp white oak in wet moist ground. Had trees starting to bear nuts at 7 years of age. Acorns size of dimes and nickels. They bear every year once they start. Have a shallow root and a deep root system both. Very hardy but without tubing them survival success will be very minimal. In addition to those that was planted for me in the Cheaspeke conservation plan, I have bought them from the Missouri DNR.

Pear trees and plum trees have been doing good to, but still waiting for fruite production about 5 years in. Hawthorne does great too in wet ground and produce early. Have not seen where deer eat the little berries other than bucks like them for polishing up their antlers once out of the tubes.

Not much luck with crabapples in wet ground, they grow slowly for me in wet ground with very little fruit production.

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 09:27 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Part of my property is low and stays somewhat wet. I found 5 wild apples there. They are not tall or large in diameter, but they produce decent crops annually. I will be planting 2 pear trees in that area this spring. I've grown the pears in wet areas on my property for 2 years now and will be transplanting them because they have been putting on about 2 feet of growth in these wet spots.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page