Habitat Plans for 2019 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Habitat Plans for 2019

Ok. It is about that time to think about plans for the new year. So what do you have on tap?

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Ok. Here are mine. Some are similar to last year

First in PA.

1. I have some trees that I want to hinge cut. This is mainly for the rabbits. I did some last year, but want to do some more this year.
2. I will plant my usual fall annual food plot in the fall. Don't know what I will plant yet. It won't be an annual clover as that didn't work the best although the deer are still eating it. May just go back to winter wheat or rye.
3. Other than that I will spray and mow a couple clover plots.

Camp in Ohio.

1. My food plots down at camp have been a failure to say the least. Really expected good results this year but didn't get them. So I plan on doing another soil test this winter as soon as the ground dries a little. I plan on liming and fertilizing them again. Then I plan on frost seeding clover again. I am going to wait until after frostseeding and then spray with imox once the weeds get up.
2. Redo my 1 water hole that got washed out 2 summers ago. It rained so much this past year that there wasn't any point in redoing it.
3. I want to cut a little brush and a couple of small trees to expand the one plot by about 20'. I also have to cut some logs to put in the hollow so that I can get equipment to this food plot.
4. I want to purchase a used compact 4x4 tractor that is small enough for me to haul to mow/till the plots and for other small projects. Something in the 15-20 hp range.
5. Got permission from the neighbor to clear a logging road that runs on him so that I can connect two of my trails. It is just barely off my property but will make it easier to get to the bottom especially once I get a tractor.
OAWC likes this.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 05:51 PM

Whatever nature provides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 07:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetam View Post
Whatever nature provides
Big plans there....how will you manage to get it all done in 2019?
cspot likes this.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 08:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Duck pond:

1. Plant sunflowers, corn, and sorghum for doves and ducks
2. Plant millet
3. Maintain button bush and oak tree plantings
4. Freshen wood duck boxes
5. Finish island goose nest construction

On the Ridge:

1. Plant a new food plot that was previously a bunch of stilt grass and burdocks...we have a few planted trees and shrubs in the area, but should have plenty of space to work around them. Probably some oats and barley in the spring....then a combination of oats, barley, and clover in the fall - perhaps sprinkle in some radishes and turnips as well
2. Continue to eliminate ailanthus trees....since the end of rifle season I have hit all the ailanthus trees that I noticed getting to and from tree stands this fall. 2019 should be much lighter on the ailanthus-killing front, but I will continue to hit them as I see them pop up. I finally feel pretty good about our ailanthus situation.
3. Take some more elderberry and silky dogwood cuttings from across the ridge and propagate them at home to plant on the ridge early summer.
4. Plant some more Blue Hill Nursery fruit and mast trees. I want to add a few persimmons, maybe some more pears, and some chestnuts.
5. Plant the two existing fall plots with cereal grains and clover....and plant a brassica plot for winter-time deer grub.
6. Spray large existing clover plot for foxtail and thistles.
7. Freshen mineral sites
bigguy54 and cspot like this.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAWC View Post
Duck pond:

1. Plant sunflowers, corn, and sorghum for doves and ducks
2. Plant millet
3. Maintain button bush and oak tree plantings
4. Freshen wood duck boxes
5. Finish island goose nest construction

On the Ridge:

1. Plant a new food plot that was previously a bunch of stilt grass and burdocks...we have a few planted trees and shrubs in the area, but should have plenty of space to work around them. Probably some oats and barley in the spring....then a combination of oats, barley, and clover in the fall - perhaps sprinkle in some radishes and turnips as well
2. Continue to eliminate ailanthus trees....since the end of rifle season I have hit all the ailanthus trees that I noticed getting to and from tree stands this fall. 2019 should be much lighter on the ailanthus-killing front, but I will continue to hit them as I see them pop up. I finally feel pretty good about our ailanthus situation.
3. Take some more elderberry and silky dogwood cuttings from across the ridge and propagate them at home to plant on the ridge early summer.
4. Plant some more Blue Hill Nursery fruit and mast trees. I want to add a few persimmons, maybe some more pears, and some chestnuts.
5. Plant the two existing fall plots with cereal grains and clover....and plant a brassica plot for winter-time deer grub.
6. Spray large existing clover plot for foxtail and thistles.
7. Freshen mineral sites

That lists looks smaller than most years. Still alot of work.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:17 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

1.Meet with a forester and plan a TSI project on approx. 70 ac.
2.Spray the grass out of, and fertilize my native food plot project
3.Plant some plot screen for the first time
4.get my food plot lane finally limed, fertilized and planted
5.frost seed some of my existing plots with clover for the first time
6.If time permits take one of my bigger native fields and start to get the carpet of pasture grass removed
7.Continue to experiment with different rotations of plantings in my existing plots
cspot and OAWC like this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 08:41 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

1. Maintain bedding areas and travel corridors.
2. Finish barricading a few sections inside my access trails.
3. Cut trees out of plots
4. Edgefeather plots.
5. Lime plots.
6. Frost seed plots with med. red clover.
7. Dig 4 water holes/install stock tanks.
8. Buy tractor/ brushhog or tow behind brushhog for mule.
9. Throw and mow plots with winter rye,oats, red clover, tillage radish,australian winter peas.
bigguy54, cspot and OAWC like this.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 03:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
That lists looks smaller than most years. Still alot of work.
I'm hoping I have to spend a lot less time working on ailanthus this year....so the list may grow a little bit as the year progresses. Dad and I already got a jump start on the new food plot....we had the tractor in there pushing off all downed logs, stilt grass, and burdocks, so the prep work is partially underway.

I also hope to actually accomplish the plans at the duck pond this year....it always seems to take a back seat to the deer habitat stuff.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 06:58 PM
Part of the Community

Couple acres of corn and sunflowers that I leave standing, rye plots in the fall, and frost seed some clover plots. It sure is nice being retired and having the time
cspot, OAWC and One Horn like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page