Japanese Stiltgrass - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Japanese Stiltgrass

Japanese Stiltgrass is becoming very common in my area (Centre and Clinton). It really takes over, blanketing large areas.

One guy said "It will cover the earth!" Are you seeing it much in other parts of PA?

It seems to be mostly in forested areas, but is also spreading from the woods into grassy fields. It is very common alongside forest roads, jeep trails, etc.

Does anyone have any experiences in controlling it, either in forest or grass field situations?

By mowing? Or herbicides? Or other options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 01:12 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Weíve had that stuff forever here in Berks.

I honestly didnít know it was an invasive species till your post.

It seems to live in specific spots where I hunt and hasnít really changed much in the 20-ish years Iíve been hunting the property I currently hunt. Mostly more open spots with a lot of shade is where we see it.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 01:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

If you use clethodim to kill grasses in your clover plots, it will kill stiltgrass. Catch it before it seeds. If you don't like chemicals, pull it by hand.
Laylow likes this.

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Last edited by Whip; 12-16-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip View Post
If you use clethodim to kill grasses in your clover plots, it will kill stiltgrass. Catch it before it seeds. If you don't like chemicals, pull it by hand.
Thanks for the info. When does it seed?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 02:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

Usually end of July beginning of August. Treatment should be done sooner then later. It's a hard seed and can stay in the ground a few years before germination.

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip View Post
Usually end of July beginning of August. Treatment should be done sooner then later. It's a hard seed and can stay in the ground a few years before germination.
I've read various things about when they produce seed, some saying generically "late summer" and some saying August or September.

I'm a little surprised that it seeds as early as late July, but that is very good to know.

Thanks again. The information on stiltgrass on the web comes from all over the US. Nothing beats local PA info!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 03:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

This stuff is nasty. It's creeping out of the woods into my yard. I've been fighting it for years. Only way to get rid of it is pull it out or kill everything. And that doesn't work. Like CWD it's here to stay.
Guy that figures out how to kill it and let everything else live will make millions.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylow View Post
This stuff is nasty. It's creeping out of the woods into my yard. I've been fighting it for years. Only way to get rid of it is pull it out or kill everything. And that doesn't work. Like CWD it's here to stay.
Guy that figures out how to kill it and let everything else live will make millions.

On public land near where I live, they mow the flat top of an embankment regularly, probably almost weekly, during the growing season. That frequently mowed area has thriving grasses like a typical lawn, with little to no stiltgrass.

Directly on both sides of that are slopes too steep to mow with a tractor, which they probably just hit with trimmers only once in awhile. Those areas are totally covered with a near monoculture of stiltgrass.

But it doesn't seem to spread into the regularly mowed area.

At that site at least, it looks like regular, close mowing keeps the stiltgrass suppressed.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 04:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hope you are right troutbert gonna frost seed a few areas with clover and keep mowed this summer. See how it goes.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 06:28 AM

Typically DO Not mow siltgrass.
Most times you will just spread it.
They make Pre Emergent herbicide to spray before it sets seed.
Also a few selective Post Emergent herbicides out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page