Tractor size - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Tractor size

My dad has recently picked up a mid 80s Ford 1510 diesel 2wd. From what ive read its a 22 hp 3 cylinder engine. We are contemplating putting in a few small plots. Im guessing 1/4-1/2 acre in size. Do you think this a big enough tractor do these size plots?

If so should I be looking into a rototiller or discs? Also what size brush hog should I be looking into also? I appreciate all the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 11:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'd say yes. I had a 1951 Farmall Cub with 9.25 HP. The thing was geared to climb trees.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 12:02 PM
The Man

For a tractor of that power and weight, and considering no 4wd, I'd say a 48" rotary mower would be about the max I'd be comfortable with.

I'd go tiller over a disc. Unless your soil is REALLY rich or sandy, a disc is most likely just going to ride on top of the sod.

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 12:16 PM
Part of the Community

Rocky soil can be tough on a tiller. If it was me, it'd look into no till methods. Things like spreaders, sprayers and a cultipacker would be near the top of my list. Spend the money you'll hopefully save on soil tests, lime and fertilizer. Then seed and Herbicide.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 12:41 PM

I had a 1978 Ford 335 diesel tractor when I was building my place and it was only 2 wheel drive but with some weight on the back and a set of chains it was unstoppable.
With the 3 point hitch and PT I used disc tiller, Mott mower and a brush hog on it and had the front end loader bucket on the front.
I even used it to move snow out of my drive.
It still runs since I gave it to a guy up the road who just uses it to mow his fields. Only reason I got rid of it was I brought a Case 580N off work cause I wanted a cab with heat and AC. This is 4WD and I cant say I had a harder time with the old Ford.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 12:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Congrats on the new toy/tool!! Having a nice little tractor is a huge bonus for a hunting landowner.

In my opinion, that's plenty of tractor for small plots. I agree with Strut10 on the 4' hog. In addition, raising a heavy 3pt tiller on sloped ground can make for some uneasy tractor driving, so be careful how wide you go with the tiller as well.

We have a tiller for our plots....rocks are a pain when using it. We have so many rocks that if I don't hear rocks banging off the back shield, I have to turn around and make sure it's still running. It's hard to beat the job the tiller does for seed bed preparation. A few weeks ago on September 20th, Dad and I finally got our oats/barley/clover mix planted. I had previously sprayed most of the areas, but one still had a fair amount of Japanese stilt grass growing in it.

On the sprayed areas, I broadcast the oat and barley seed prior to Dad turning the top over with the tiller. Unsprayed area - he mowed as low was he could with the bush hog....I broadcast the seed and he tilled lightly. Once he had the grain seed tilled in, I came through again and broadcast the clover and a little bit of alfalfa seed on top of the seed bed. Ideally, we would have run the cultipacker over the seeded areas, but it was pretty wet and some of the terrain is barely friendly enough to get it tilled...so we let the rain set the small seeds for us. Obviously rainfall has been on our side, but the plots came in beautifully.

What are your plot areas like? Soil, rocks, slope, access, etc?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 04:12 PM
Sage

As mentioned a 4 ft bush hog is enough, also a 47 inch roto tiller and aa 5 ft disc would be enough for this tractor, a 5 ft rear blade also..Dont overload it and expect too much, sure hope it has AG tires....
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 10:52 PM

I agree with the others that a 4' hog would be good for it. For that size I would opt for a tiller, but I would also consider getting a single bottom plow. New ground that hasn't been tilled you will be better served to plow it first and then till. You may need to get some weights to put on the front end of it if it doesn't have it already.

I am actually looking for a similar size tractor so that I can haul down to camp to mow and put in plots. I need to get something that would be under 2,000 lb.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 10:56 PM

As an FYI a good rule of thumb for bush hogs is 4-5 HP per 1' width of bush hog. The only thing that will get you is just because a tractor has the HP to run it doesn't mean it can lift it on the 3 pt hitch. That is why I think the 4' would be better for that tractor.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 10:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
Your 1510 is more enough tractor to handle a 5 ft brush hog, 4ft tiller. For food plots I would get a double plow,a set of disc. you can pick then up cheap at auctions. Once the ground been establish then use a tiller. if you go that route.Check out youtube on your Ford 1510 putting food plots in,and what attachments people use.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page