I did a little experimenting this year after watching some you tube videos and have been quite happy with how things turned out. I have equipment but this field is 80% rock and 20% dirt so I don't like running the tiller through it. I thoroughly sprayed glypho on the standing briars, milkweed, and golden rod. Waited a couple weeks until it was dead. I then spread the seed while the vegetation was still standing. Then I took the harrow drag over it a few times to knock all the weeds down. Waited for the rain and it's looking great. I've got just generic feed store purple top turnip, radish, and rape seed. $12 Tractor supply whole feed oats, and some soybeans in here. I didn't get the same germination rate as if I would've spent hours completely working the ground but this was a virgin field and I spent hardly any money or time on it.
Looks good. I have done the same thing in the past. That is why my Solo backpack sprayer is my most important piece of equipment I have. However, it stopped pumping halfway through spot spraying a plot last week. I am not sure if its a gasket If I cant fix it I will buy another Solo sprayer.
Excellent work, I really liked the first picture of the brassica growing out of the thatch, that will fill in nicely as it grows. Maybe broadcast some urea before a rain in the next week or so. A big time saver and headache saver not dealing with the rocks and weeds, nice job