Paw Paw Seeds or Saplings - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ng270

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Paw Paw Seeds or Saplings

Where can I find Paw Paw saplings or seeds? I would like to get some of these. Maybe wrong time of year but I have heard that Arbor Day Foundation had them. I have not had very much luck with anything from Arbor Day Foundation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 08:00 AM
Sage

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5643410...SABEgIlLfD_BwE

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 08:39 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Missouri's state nursery normally has pawpaw seedlings. Their catalog won't be out until September 1, so we won't know for sure until then, but they've had them the past number of years. I haven't bought pawpaws from them, but all other seedlings I got from them over the years have been excellent.

Last Fall's Catalog:

https://mdc.mo.gov/sites/default/fil...gOrderForm.pdf
OAWC likes this.

Home: 4D & 4B. Camp: 2G & Kentucky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 06:44 PM
The Man

Your profile gives your location as NE PA.

If that is true, you might want to check into whether or not they are likely to grow in your location.

This Wikipedia entry has a range map. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asimina_triloba

They seem to like mild climates. They are in southeast PA.

A botany geek here in Centre County told me that he said he found some paw paws in Mifflin County, but never any in Centre Country or anywhere further north.

I think they are unlikely to grow where the climate is cold or where the soils are infertile.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I have never seen them growing here but in neighboring Wayne County I have heard they do grow. Maybe I have to get the correct strain. Thanks to the above links I will check them out.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 04:19 PM
The Man

Just doing some Googling, I found a reference to "Canadian paw paws." And also a website that listed paw paws as being native to southern Ontario.

That's surprising to me, and interesting.

So yes, maybe if you get the right variety, it will work.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 10:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have Missouri MDC paw paws growing in Columbia county. Pretty inexpensive, 25 trees for $10. All of their stuff has looked nice and done well for us. Very good value.

As for Ontario's climate, some of it is pretty mild being located along the lake between NY and Michigan.

If you can get fruit from some local trees, you can grow your own from seed. I grew quite a few from seed collected from an old patch planted on Cornell U. Don't let the seeds dry out, moist stratify the seed over the winter in the refrigerator. Once you plant the seed, it can take a long time for it germinate, grow a big taproot, and then start showing top growth. It would be ideal to plant in the final location if you can protect the seed from rodents. It is a big seed so quite attractive to mice and squirrels. I started mine in pots indoors.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I hope to get the seeds from this area in the fall. Your tips on how to stratify and appreciated. I did check on the Paw Paw from Canada and on one site they wanted $100 per sapling.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 10:50 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenlittle View Post
I have Missouri MDC paw paws growing in Columbia county. Pretty inexpensive, 25 trees for $10. All of their stuff has looked nice and done well for us. Very good value.

As for Ontario's climate, some of it is pretty mild being located along the lake between NY and Michigan.

If you can get fruit from some local trees, you can grow your own from seed. I grew quite a few from seed collected from an old patch planted on Cornell U. Don't let the seeds dry out, moist stratify the seed over the winter in the refrigerator. Once you plant the seed, it can take a long time for it germinate, grow a big taproot, and then start showing top growth. It would be ideal to plant in the final location if you can protect the seed from rodents. It is a big seed so quite attractive to mice and squirrels. I started mine in pots indoors.
Have any more you can share?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

I found some on Craigs List and very reasonable. Then when they tried to dig it the tap root was so long they couln't get it out. I am looking for seeds now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page