No-Till Maiden Voyage - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

No-Till Maiden Voyage

Gave the RTP a workout on Thursday and Friday at the farm. Soil temps and moisture levels were good so i got after it. The first 3 passes were a little sketchy but got it figured out pretty quickly. Machine is easy to calibrate and run, learned that it doesn't like bare soil as much as having a mat of vegetation or sod to cut through. i removed the front cutters ( which are optional and used for hard rocky soil or a lot of heavy vegetation) but it still disturbed the soil more than i expected.I ran the cultipacker over the fields that were dirt but the ones that had vegetation that I had previously sprayed it worked slick as cat crap.I checked the slots and found seed around an inch deep, there were some skips where the field was uneven from years of disking but i was overall very happy. Anxious to check germination this weekend, drilled 2 fields that I didn't get to pick the rocks in and it just breeze'd through them without so much as a nick on the cutting wheels.Could not plant a north facing field so that will get buckwheat when it dries out along with some plot extensions I sprayed after the planting was done.It went slower than I would have liked ( an acre an hour) but the plots are irregular and sloped but I was getting more comfortable and quicker as I went along. I'm still working on pictures, I will get that figured out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 10:26 PM

Can't wait to see the results. I am sure there will be a learning process for it. As I said before something like the RTP is on my bucket list for equipment to own. An acre per hour really isn't that slow especially for irregular plots. Those irregular plots are also a pain to plow and disc. I would bet just to plow and disc that you have well over an hour into an acre before you even plant anything.

How easy is it to switch between seed types and depths? Does it have a guide that tells you what to do for what seed?

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Hey cspot, to disk,broadcast,disk and cultipack probably took me a good 5hrs or so. Depth change is one pin per press wheel, you choose between 1/2, 1, and 2in. to change seed types and rates you change 2 gears between 10 different ones they supply ( they are housed in the seed bin ) they give you a cheat sheet for the most common seeds and different rates with different gear combinations. Also there is a lever for the gate opening between 0 and 3, this allows the seed to drop faster or slower. So you change both of those while you calibrate, they have a removable calibration tray which you pull out and reinstall upside down to catch the seed (very slick) after turning the drive wheel by hand 26 times you pull the tray and weigh the seed then multiply by 81.7 which gives you lbs/ac. very slick. once you get calibration flip the tray over and push it in and go drill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Horn View Post
Hey cspot, to disk,broadcast,disk and cultipack probably took me a good 5hrs or so. Depth change is one pin per press wheel, you choose between 1/2, 1, and 2in. to change seed types and rates you change 2 gears between 10 different ones they supply ( they are housed in the seed bin ) they give you a cheat sheet for the most common seeds and different rates with different gear combinations. Also there is a lever for the gate opening between 0 and 3, this allows the seed to drop faster or slower. So you change both of those while you calibrate, they have a removable calibration tray which you pull out and reinstall upside down to catch the seed (very slick) after turning the drive wheel by hand 26 times you pull the tray and weigh the seed then multiply by 81.7 which gives you lbs/ac. very slick. once you get calibration flip the tray over and push it in and go drill
Sounds pretty idiot proof. So if I ever get one, I shouldn't have any problems.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 10:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

One Horn - thanks for the update and the info on the unit. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t a lil jealous.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

No problem oawc so far looks like it will work out, looking forward to double cropping these fields and building up a bunch of organic matter and keeping something growing most of the year without wearing myself out.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 09:49 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

One Horn, took a moment to look at RTP. Quite the machine, congratulations.

Which model Genesis are your using and what are you using to run the beast?

Good luck.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 11:55 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos USMC View Post
One Horn, took a moment to look at RTP. Quite the machine, congratulations.

Which model Genesis are your using and what are you using to run the beast?

Good luck.
His last post mentions the Genesis 5. Curious where you got it, and what the pricing was like.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 06:27 PM

I believe One Horn has the 5. They also make a 3 that can be towed behind a big UTV or small tractor. Not sure of the cost, but no till drills are mighty expensive. They do save the need to purchase tillage equipment and you would save some fuel every year from doing it the conventional way.

GENESIS 3

The one and only, Genesis 3 is the world's first and only, true no till drill designed for UTVs. The Genesis 3 has all the great features of the iconic Genesis brand, just in a smaller package. With 5 cutting elements and 38" working width, the Genesis 3 can be towed behind smaller tractors or 800cc+ UTVs. Or with the use of your 3-point tractor lift & 1,500lbs lift capacity, you can lift the Genesis 3 and drive it to your favorite food plot to plant.

GENESIS 5

The Genesis 5 is our best selling no till food plot drill. Designed by hunters, for hunters, the Genesis is a true no till drill. That means hunters can save time and money, preserve soil moisture and increase germination rates. The Genesis 5 has a 60" working width, 8 cutting elements and 7.5mph top speed all combine to allow planting 4.5ac per hour.

GENESIS 8

The Genesis 8 is our largest no till food plot drill. It's a beast. When fully loaded, you'll need at least a 65HP tractor with rear lift capacity of 4,100lbs. If you're a habitat manager planting large food plots and have good access to them, the Genesis 8 will save you time & money. It has 13 cutting elements, thus planting 13 rows at 7.5" between rows; a wildlife manager can plant 7ac an hour with depths from 0 - 2.5" deep.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Hey guys, using a M70 Kubota tractor to pull the Genesis 5. Bought it from Hoover Tractor in Mifflinburg ( they are the local dealer for RTP Outdoors) in this area. It ran about 13k with tax and with the optional extra front cutting wheels. Hoover had good people to deal with. I was up this weekend and germination was excellent on the soybeans and buckwheat (both up about an inch) in a week, drilled in a few plot extensions with buckwheat (sprayed those last week) they were in existing old fields. Caught some nice rain today so we should be good for awhile
cspot and OAWC like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page