Skunk Cabbage - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By OAWC

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Skunk Cabbage

I had intentions of planting a small clover food plot in middle of woods, it is all skunk cabbage. I sprayed it first week of April before any growth, skunk cabbage started growing anyhow first week of may in it. I then rototilled it and sprayed it again. I just checked it this trip back and the skunk cabbage started growing back again. Any advice on getting rid of it??? Anyone have experience with getting rid of it?? It's approx 1/4 to 1/2 acre in size
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:49 PM

sounds like it's hard to kill , I 'm sure someone on here can help you out
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 09:31 PM
Sage

Use Grammoxone (paraquat) but it is labeled. be very careful when using it, don't get any on you or your clothes, better to hire someone to apply it , maybe a landscape contractor.....the package has a skull and crossbones and that means it's dangerous..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 09:42 AM
The Man

It is only a burn down herbicide.It will still come back.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 10:14 AM
Part of the Community

Sounds like you needed to spray it when it was growing. When you tilled it, you opened up the seed bed.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 10:43 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The spray will work best when the plant is actively growing.

My suggestion - try to keep it sprayed over the summer to kill anything that is growing from the existing seed bed. Labor Day weekend or thereabouts, till the plot and plant your clover along with winter rye and oats. If your plot is 1/2 acre, you would need about 3-4lbs of white clover, 30-40lbs of oats, and 30-40lbs of rye. The amount of oats and rye seed might seem high, but it will work our great.

The oats will provide a quick, lush fall forage for the deer while the clover and rye get going. The rye will be available all winter long....and as soon as it warms up in the spring, they will both jump to life before anything else does. Be prepared to mow the rye in the spring though....as it will get quite tall and generate a lot of bio mass. The residual rye roots will be a great moisture-holder for the clover the following summer.

If you think the rye will be too much to handle in the spring, substitute barley. We have had good luck with the barley seeding out in the early summer (early to mid June), and the turkey hens make good use of the seed with their poults.

Spring plantings are a tough battle with weeds. Planting the fall gives the weeds a limited window to grow before the frost knocks them back....and the following spring, the rye/barley and clover are going so quickly that they suppress most of the weeds that are trying to start.
CROW MASTER likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 01:01 PM

Bring in some hungry skunks......

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks OWAC for the information, I am going to follow your instructions and do what you explained
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 09:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You're welcome. Keep us posted on how it goes, and we all love to see pics of what guys are doing with food plots and habitat work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page