soil conservation - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

soil conservation

Just back home from God's country. After 12 days of picking rocks in the past 3 weeks I am entering a new era of planting and soil conservation.I just purchased a bigger sprayer ( 60 gal, crop care with 20 ft. spray width boom arms ) and a RTP genisis 5 no-till drill. i'm very excited to get started. After 10 yrs. of tilling , disking, and broadcasting on my sloped fields i am looking for a better solution. I have washed away far much soil and killed far too many earthworms to suit me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 10:26 PM

sounds like nice new toys to play with ,good luck on your plots
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 10:10 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Good move, I'm purchasing a 60 gallon cropcare for our mule with a 12 ft. boom.
No more tilling, except tillage radish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Horn View Post
Just back home from God's country. After 12 days of picking rocks in the past 3 weeks I am entering a new era of planting and soil conservation.I just purchased a bigger sprayer ( 60 gal, crop care with 20 ft. spray width boom arms ) and a RTP genisis 5 no-till drill. i'm very excited to get started. After 10 yrs. of tilling , disking, and broadcasting on my sloped fields i am looking for a better solution. I have washed away far much soil and killed far too many earthworms to suit me.
Please let me know how you like the No-till. That is on my dream list of equipment.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 03:42 PM
DDX
Frequent Contributor

One tip, I hope you have quite a bit more horsepower than the 45hp minimum. That minimum is for flat ground in good worked soil. You get on a rocky hillside with a lot of stubble/residue and you can quickly get in trouble without enough HP. 2600lb machine plus seed on a 3 pt hitch sideling on a rocky hillside can get hairy without enough hp. And you need to sidle (go with the contour) to achieve the soil conservation. Planting up and down the hill, even with a no till does very little.

I rent out a 7 foot Great Plains and require 75hp minimum and closer to 90hp on steep ground.

Last edited by DDX; 05-08-2018 at 03:50 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 08:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

How bad do you think the rocks will beat up on the no-till drill?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I think it should be fine. I went down to Grant Woods place in the Ozark Mountains of Missouri in March for his field days. He uses the same machine to plant 50 acres twice a year and his soil is more rock than dirt and is holding up fine
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 09:07 PM

No matter what equipment you use rocky ground will be rough on equipment. I think the no-till would probably handle rocky ground better since you only go over it once and you aren't going very deep.

How many acres do you put in a year One Horn? Please post up some pics with your results.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for the heads up, I have a Kubota M70 it picked it up fine and will take it slow starting out. Worse case its back to the dealer for a bigger machine, if i roll it over i might end up in divorce court
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm at 10 acres with another 5 or 6 in the planing stages, I picked all the surface rocks and am planting at about an inch. i hope to eventually big more soil on top of the ones underground, and there are plenty of them. I would love to post pictures but do not have the computer skills for that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page