ATV/Pull behind Spreaders, which one is actually best - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

ATV/Pull behind Spreaders, which one is actually best

Howdy Folks,

I have been doing numerous internet searches to find a combination lime, fertilizer and seed spreader for use on our property. (food plots and yard)

Qualifiers: I can go with either a PTO driven, ATV mounted or a pull behind. I would prefer an ATV mounted or a pull behind, as the tractor tires are heck on the lawn... Food plot and lawn are both about an acre in size, maybe a tad more.

Thus far my research has not found one unit that stands out among the numerous choices available. They all seem to have certain deficiencies or user review quirks that keeps one looking for something better.

Hoping forum members might shed some light on units they have used that they have found to be the best of all worlds; durable, dependable, performs well, mostly trouble free and lasts for more than a year or two.

Thanks in advance for your comments/user reviews based on your personal experience.

Be safe and be well.

Chaos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 02:13 PM
Part of the Community

Here are my thoughts. Chances are you'll wind up with a combination of spreaders.

1. Deere brander Spyker 175 pull behind - We have two of these. I used one for my lawn for a few years. I personally had issues getting it to spread evenly. It was used when I bought it, so it did have a few issues. I sold my home one, and replaced it with number 2.
2. Earthway 2170T - https://earthway.com/product/2170t-c...-spreader.ashx - I like this one better. It seems to spread more consistently, and has a finer adjustment. A lot of professionals use these.

Either 1 and 2 are probably good spreaders for fertilizer and lime, but might have a hard time spreading fine seeds, like clover or brassicas. Most commercial lawn fertilizer and lime products will have recommended settings for these brands. Check what you are buying or plan to buy, for recommended settings/rates.

3. Earthway nylon bag spreader - https://earthway.com/product/2750-ny...-spreader.ashx - great for small areas and fine seeds. Lots of control.

4. Moultrie ATV spreader -

- It's one like this. It was much harder to control the amount of product coming out and where it was going. I wouldn't recommend something like this.
Dennis Hill likes this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 02:14 PM

try looking into an atv mounted spreader, we had a pull behind two wheeled spreader an it kept trying to tip on uneven ground or plot
BBB likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 02:27 PM

If your spreading powdered lime, then you need a drop spreader.
For the pull behind, larger air filled tires work better then solid tires.
The atv mounted ones (cabelas/moultire) are hard to control the amount of seed spread and it is hard to see where you have spread the seed.

Earthway are quality built, a lot of the local landscapers use them in our area.

Gobble,Gobble,Gobble -> BANG
KingRon
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 03:22 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hill View Post
try looking into an atv mounted spreader, we had a pull behind two wheeled spreader an it kept trying to tip on uneven ground or plot
That can be a challenge. Do you cultipack before using the spreader?

Also, I've seen these recommended before, on some FB habitat groups. They're more expensive.

Gandy drop spreader - https://www.gandy.net/5-ft-drop-spre...eumatic-wheels
Garber drop spreader - Garber Seeder, Made in America

There are two on Philly area Craigslist now.
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/...502998237.html
https://reading.craigslist.org/grd/d...530960401.html
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 03:55 PM

I have a pull behind spreader that hold 2 bags of fertilizer or pelletized lime that someone gave me. I think it's a craftsman. I see similar ones for sale on craigslist for $50 to 100 dollars.

The one I have looks like the agri-fab 200 lb broadcast spreader they sell at tractor supply

Life Member NRA

Last edited by joe8768; 04-04-2018 at 04:04 PM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Grizz, if you ever saw the results of my drop spreader efforts in the old days (zig's and zag's and funny looking, different color grass) you would never let me use a drop spreader again...! Out of the question, I just can't use them in a straight line... BTW, I should have also qualified that I always use a hand broadcaster for my seed, concur with your previous recommendation.

I'll have to forgo a few cold adult beverages to save for/afford it but based on all that I am reading, I am leaning (slightly) towards a FIMCO ATV/UTV model. FIMCO Dry Material Spreaders

Anyone use one?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 03:11 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Herd I92 is what im buying this year. They make a smaller 1 too.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 03:17 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have two pull behind atv spreaders. These are ok for yards that are smooth and flat. Any hill or food plot areas where there are clumps of dirt, it will tip. The first one I bought was a cheaper one and constantly tipped over. I then bought a better one that had bigger tires and wider footprint and it still tipped over. I still use this one for my yard but not food plots. Last year I bought a buyers atv mounted spreader. So much better, but the mounting plate is junk. I was mounting to a yamaha kodiak and whenever it was loaded with fertilizer, it would tilt down and not be level. I made up a mounting bracket and now it works great. I was looking at the Fimco spreader but opted for the buyers spreader instead. Other than the mounting issue, I am very happy with it. Good luck in your decision.

Rob
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 03:57 PM
BBB
Frequent Contributor

I had the same issues with the pull behind in my food plot I bought a tractor supply 12 Volt ATV mounted spreader and it works great . For lime I used the lime pellets .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page