Select cutting timber - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Select cutting timber

This is my first and only time to do this so I want to know what questions I need to have answered before I start. One of my main concerns if that I am not left with a disaster area. My first call was to a consulting forester. Is that the best route or should I have multiple bids from loggers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 03:54 PM

forester . worth every penny. he'll keep the loggers in line.

life member pa trappers
distric 1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 05:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A forester is the way to go. He will go get bids for you...at least thats what the one did for my brother. A outfit went in prior to the forester and low balled the heck out of him so he got the forester and he got him a lot more money. I dont know how old you are or how big your property is but if done right in several years you will be able to do this again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 09:18 PM

I agree with cooncrazy and 171farm get a forester in your area ,we did some logging several years ago . we tried it on our own and found some that tried to rip us off ,went with a local forester and he did well by us . he'll do all the leg work and give you the best deal available
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 09:30 PM

also he will keep an eye on the loggers ,he doesn't want a bad name or reputation from bad loggers .not saying all loggers are bad but he'll know the best ones to deal with. also there will be a percentage based fee on his services
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 06:37 PM

I would use a forester but make sure he knows what you want.Decide on a size 4 foot off the ground to be marked for cutting.Go with him on the first day of marking and make sure your getting what you want.Foresters get paid on a percentage so the more he marks the more he makes.If you have some really big timber you will lose a few trees that are not marked because of the bigger trees taking other trees down with them so get your forester to show you places that will likely happen.These areas can look like a clear cut when done.If your wanting better deer hunting have them leave the tops.It may not look as nice but deer love laying in and around tops.You can have your forester explain how much you will make off the tops and you will be surprised all the more it will be unless your cutting a lot of timber.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, since this is all new to me I want to do it the right way. I have a service forester that will walk the property with me from the PA Department of Conservation and natural recourses and hopefully tell me some options as well as what steps to take.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 12:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

I always shudder when I hear select cut. To me it means high grading, removing the trees that have some value today but would have more value in the future while leaving all the trees that will never have value. All you have left is junk.
rrroae likes this.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 02:09 PM

If you're doing this for habitat improvement, cut it heavy. A gentle select cut won't help for long, i do alot of those and within 5 years you're back where you started.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenlittle View Post
I always shudder when I hear select cut. To me it means high grading, removing the trees that have some value today but would have more value in the future while leaving all the trees that will never have value. All you have left is junk.
Select cutting is the best way to harvest timber and make good habitat.If you decide to cut trees that are say 2o inches across at 4 feet off the ground you will be leaving plenty of trees that can be cut again in 15 to 20 years plus be leaving trees that will produce acorns.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page