Clover Plot Help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to greenstang232
Clover Plot Help

I have a small clover plot that will be 4 years old this fall. The past couple years it has been taken over by a weed shown in the picture below:

I believe it is chickweed, but I could be wrong. It seems to show up around September every year and disappears somewhat in the summer, so it is some sort of cool weather weed. I have tried spraying it with 24DB, but it does not do any good. At this point the plot is much more weeds then clover so I just want to start over and replant it this year.

The plot is located in a creek bottom and the soil seems to stay pretty moist most of the year. I had a soil test done this winter, which showed a ph of 6.9. The potassium and phosphorus levels were just slightly below optimum, but I should be able to fix that with some fertilizer.

My question is what is the best way to approach replanting this year? Should I spray everything with Roundup in the near future to kill this problem weed and plant in April? Or should I wait till the late summer to replant?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 10:25 AM
Frequent Contributor

I use to have a clover plot on private land years back. I didn't use any weed killer or anything in that nature. I had a great plot for 4 years. The 1st year summer months you would find me in there pulling out weeds. That got old, so what i did is mow around the plot to help prevent other seeds from grasses around the clover plot blowing in to the clover plot. From time to time i would see a few weeds growing but nothing major. IMO it worked for me. Saved me $ in the long run. Good luck...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 01:59 PM

when you redo it spray it with Roundup ,let it die then if you have one harrow or plow it under, drag it plant and fertilize ,also put some pelletized lime on it as well ,then drag it again . mowing does help control the weeds. that's what my dad and I do on our plot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 10:48 AM
The Man

Chickweed often grows in compacted soils. If the soil looks compacted, loosening up the soil may help.

Also, maybe a mix of grass and clover would compete with the weeds better than a pure stand of clover.

Also, maybe the best approach is to think in terms of "What would be the best vegetation for this site?"

You described the site as "The plot is located in a creek bottom and the soil seems to stay pretty moist most of the year."

The best vegetation for that type of site, may not be clover, but something else instead.

I've seen some wide riparian buffers in the floodplains of streams with lots of trees and shrubs that hold a lot of deer.

Just some ideas. I'm not an expert.

Last edited by troutbert; 03-11-2018 at 03:12 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 12:51 PM
Part of the Community

24DB isn't labeled for chickweed. I'm not sure if you can find something that will kill it, but not clover. Maybe ask your local extension office?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page