Trees - Page 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAWC View Post
Ha, I wish that was the case for our place with the Norway Spruce.....this Norway spruce was a perfect little Christmas shape heading into the winter of 2014/15. After winter - barely anything for branches and a tuft of green on top.....pic was taken March 27th of 2015.
Ya...I feel your pain on that one, OAWC. Although you have to give that little guy a lot of credit for hanging in there and trying to grow. Deer, just like us, have a preference order for food with evergreens being down there on the preference list. I'm a meat and potatoes guy but, if there's none around and I'm hungry, I'll eat a salad if I really, really have to. So if they're eating Norway spruce, I'm betting they would have eaten pine and most other evergreens as fast or faster because they're not finding enough oak, viburnum, and other more preferred foods in the area.

Bucks tend to beat up on the evergreen branches and trunks with their antlers too once they get to 3'-4'. Between the diseases and the deer, evergreen seedlings have about as much chance of making it through a few seasons as a PGC-stocked pheasant.
OAWC likes this.

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 06:46 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg342 View Post
Fraser, Fraser, Fraser.......
2500 more going in the dirt this spring..............................

Yep.

demokraten saugen
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 08:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by basdjs View Post
Ya...I feel your pain on that one, OAWC. Although you have to give that little guy a lot of credit for hanging in there and trying to grow. Deer, just like us, have a preference order for food with evergreens being down there on the preference list. I'm a meat and potatoes guy but, if there's none around and I'm hungry, I'll eat a salad if I really, really have to. So if they're eating Norway spruce, I'm betting they would have eaten pine and most other evergreens as fast or faster because they're not finding enough oak, viburnum, and other more preferred foods in the area.

Bucks tend to beat up on the evergreen branches and trunks with their antlers too once they get to 3'-4'. Between the diseases and the deer, evergreen seedlings have about as much chance of making it through a few seasons as a PGC-stocked pheasant.
I cage all of my evergreens now (except cedars).....because it's not worth the effort of planting a seedling without protection. Between Christmas and New Year's, I found a decent-sized, caged spruce that a buck had found....he kindly removed the cage and started rubbing on the branches. I put the cage back on it to hopefully protect from winter browse....but I need to get back in there to stake it down again.
basdjs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 12:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

Deer eat the Frasier like candy in Susquehanna county where I plant, For me, The most deer resistant tree seems to be the white spruce, Due to the narrow cone of needles, The needles are very rigid. when a deer try's to eat a branch, The needles do not lay over, The needles are only about 1/2" long, Sharp, and rigid. DEER DONT EAT MY WHITE SPRUCE, Too Picky in mouth.
And I'm in a heavy deer density area. I had them eat 200 white pine in 3-4 months, did it again the following year with same results. Out of the 400 WP I planted, About 10 made it. out of 400 white spruce, about 300-325 made it. Most of my losses now are from Rubbing.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 08:47 PM
The Man

From what I have seen, white pine stand little chance. Frasers stand little chance, but they grow so much more slowly than some other varieties that they don't make much of a habitat planting. Grand fir and Concolor fir are deer magnets and they grow slower than any of the others. Blue spruce are, apparently doomed here and they grow relatively slowly.

ANY tree you plant all by its lonesome in the middle of a field or woods is going to get mauled. The old "strength in numbers" saying has much truth................... Were it me, I'd make a planting of Norway spruce on 8 foot centers (6 foot centers will thicken up quicker but burn out from the bottom sooner, too) in both directions and put probably a MINIMUM of 50 in any one area.
CROW MASTER likes this.

demokraten saugen
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 01:32 PM

Red spruce are a good choice

Much hardier than people give them credit for

But they are hard to find.

Norways are similar and more adaptable
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys, I ended up ordering 100 Norway Spruce from Cold Stream Farm.

You can't bag a big one if your not out tryin
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 06:32 PM
The Man

I would try planting them all to n one area. And go online and read up on white pine weevil and how to spray for it. If you can keep the weevil out of them and the weeds off of them for the first 3 years you should be golden.

demokraten saugen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page