Habitat Plans for 2018 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Habitat Plans for 2018

This thread is always fun to do especially when it is 10 degrees out. Anyway what is everyone's plans for habitat improvement in the next year?

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Ok. Here are mine

First in PA.

1. I have some trees that I want to hinge cut. This is mainly for the rabbits. The cover has really diminished in the one area that we hunt, so I want to thicken it back up some.
2. I will plant my usual fall annual food plot in the fall. Don't know what I will plant yet.
3. Frost seed where I had the sugar beets last year and let it go other than mowings.
4. Other than that I have a couple of clover plots that I will keep maintained.

Camp in Ohio.

1. Remove several trees from the 2 food plots that we created last year. I plan on spraying and reseeding with clover. The 1 plot did ok, but the other the clover never really did that well.
2. Redo my 1 water hole that got washed out this past summer.
3. Clear some brush and build a treestand at the 1 food plot. This should make a good gun and bow stand.
4. Other than that there is a couple of trees that fell over recently across some trails and just some general maintenance.
5. Also not habitat related, but we need to finish some projects on the cabin (siding, and finishing the inside).

Pics of the Ohio food plots showing the trees that need removed. There is a oak in the one plot that I will keep. The rest are mostly maple and an ash or 2.

3111B3EE-4DE8-41F8-B639-2A54991DAFFC_zpswwmd2ukw by cspot12, on Flickr

7CFBCE6E-68FF-44C1-BA95-8410CAF599B8_zpsjrjnhzzr by cspot12, on Flickr

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 10:29 PM

planning on doing some select logging to help open up the woods , then on the logging roads planting clover and other grasses for the deer
cspot, delphic93, OAWC and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 12:43 PM
The Man

Hoping to do a few cuts as soon as flintlock is over.................get some fresh browse down for the deer now and thicken things up for all the critters later. Wanting to do one in particular in a soggy area in my creek bottom to benefit woodcock and grouse.

Hoping to level our 7 acre field with an herbicide application or two then till, lime and re-plant. Thinking a section of clover and section for turnips with some switchgrass borders.
cspot, delphic93, OAWC and 1 others like this.

demokraten saugen
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 05:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have several projects lined up this year:

1. During spring turkey season, I will be planting 100 norway spruce seedlings along a road to finish my road border that already has 150 spruce trees that I planted last year.
2. Last year, I planted switchgrass rows. These will need to be sprayed for weed control.
3. I have a logger coming in to create two food plot areas in my woods. He was going to do this last year but some things came up and was not able to do it. He called me this week and says he should have it done this winter. This is project I'm most excited about. Once created, will be liming, liming, and more liming. But I do hope to plant a soil builder mix in there this summer.
4. I probably have 100 chinese chestnuts here at house and will plant some of these around those plots once they are created.
5. I will be doing some more hinge work and dropping of aspen to create couple more thick areas near where I did one two years ago. I wanted to see what it looked like when I did the first one before I did more. It turned out awesome and deer are using it, so going to expand.
6. Will be planting strips in between my switchgrass plantings.
7. Will also be planting a 1 1/2 acre of corn this year. This plot was planted in brassicas this past year. I pay our neighbor to plant this.
cspot and NorthPotter like this.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 09:56 AM
Part of the Community

I started clearing for a new food plot yesterday. Hope to go back and hinge cut the area we clear cut a number of years ago.

I'm sure I'll put fall plots out. I'd like to clear a shooting lane about 500 yds long on another property as well. It is currently a massive mess of autumn olive. Lots of stuff I'd like to do but I'll be happy if I get a few things knocked off the list.
cspot, OAWC and NorthPotter like this.

Coon Hunt with Plotts
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 01:30 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Take down 2 maple trees to open up a little light to a couple apple trees, try to get 2 pear trees and another apple tree planted and see if any Chinese chestnuts didn't take and replace them. I have a handful of other trees but will probably give them away to a buddy, just no room to squeeze them in.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 06:48 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Drop a few trees that have gotten big enough to shade the clover plot.
Frost seed clover in same plot itís getting old.
Hinge cut on the side of the mountain try to get some more bedding action
Try something new this year I have a couple logging roads I want to try ether brassica or beets something for later in the season.
I built a solor water tank two weeks ago it work good when it was in the mid 20s not so much now I was hoping it would work in the lower temps oh well it was worth a try.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 08:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins06 View Post
Drop a few trees that have gotten big enough to shade the clover plot.
Frost seed clover in same plot itís getting old.
Hinge cut on the side of the mountain try to get some more bedding action
Try something new this year I have a couple logging roads I want to try ether brassica or beets something for later in the season.
I built a solor water tank two weeks ago it work good when it was in the mid 20s not so much now I was hoping it would work in the lower temps oh well it was worth a try.
Penguins - what did you do for the solar water tank? I am interested to hear what you tried.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 08:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

At the duck pond:

1. Freshen the shavings in the wood duck boxes
2. Plant some sunflowers mid-May, early June to try to attract some doves
3. Plant some corn same time frame for the ducks
4. Plant some millet early July in the wet areas

At the ridge:

1. Frost seed some clover on the logging roads where it needs freshened up
2. Plant 3 Shinko Pears, 2 Olympic Pears, and 1 Gold Rush Apple
3. Keep the existing clover plots mowed frequently to keep the weeds at bay (this one is on Dad's list - he loves to be in the tractor saddle)
4. Cut some Silky Dogwood and Elderberry cuttings to plant in other areas of the ridge
5. Kill as much ailanthus as possible
6. Plant a new Brassica plot for the late winter forage
7. Plant the usual two fall food plots
8. Hinge cut some maples to make some additional bedding
9. Maintain weeds around existing seedlings
10. Kill some more ailanthus.....hate those things!
11. Fix the garage door at our original waterhole...still collecting some rain, but a fallen tree banged it up pretty good
cspot, delphic93 and NorthPotter like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page