What Are Deer Eating in Grassy Areas? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
The Man

What Are Deer Eating in Grassy Areas?

I often see deer in grassy fields. And where roads run through heavily forested areas, like the Quehanna Highway, I often see deer at night in the grassy areas along the road.

Do deer eat grasses much? Or are they eating other plants growing along with the grasses? Maybe broad-leaved "weeds?" Do they eat goldenrod?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 03:46 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

most deer I have gutted or helped gut have had corn in their belly,s around here, as some farmers leave some standing corn close the mountin and some plant turnips that they like. in very hard times they will eat just about any thing even larul. eastbank.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 05:54 AM

yes deer eat golden rod maybe not as the main course..... but i hunt over grown fields and have watched many snack on it on their way to the corn fields

take a kid hunting and fishing it will keep them out of trouble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 06:26 AM
Frequent Contributor

Deer are in the "Goat" family - and as such will eat basically anything! Even fish and birds!!!!! and I wouldn't be surprised if they ate other small animals as well...... Don't believe me? Look it up.... I have personally watched a doe catch and eat a stocked trout in a very small side stream years back.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 06:27 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Fly rod or spinning tackle?
Dennis Hill and Marcus99 like this.

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 10:25 AM
Part of the Community

Now that's funny.... a deer eatin' a trout. Maybe that's where all the grouse went..the deer ate em.
Deer eat clover..
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 12:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

Actually Rich R.... You may not be too far off with your sarcastic comment about the grouse. If I remember correctly, the PGC did a study once with nest cams and preditation. Everyone expected fox and raccoon to be the assassins of the baby bird world ( which they are ), but surprisingly, it was whitetail deer that was also high on that list..... I wish I had the link to the study still, i'd post it....
As for the trout; the doe actually chased it till in basically beached itself in really shallow water, then just picked it up in her mouth, walked up to the flat area, then ate it..... Up till then, I had never heard of such a thing, so it kinds scared me to watch it.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 04:03 PM
Part of the Community

Sorry Majik...Wasn't trying to be sarcastic...I just tried to picture that whole thing in my "minds eye" and I thought it very weird..Now that I watched it, I'm blown away.

Pretty cold up there in Kane I would think ??
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 04:15 PM
The Man

There is a hay field here near the house, that you seldom see a deer in throughout most of the year. But for a very short time in the spring, no more than a week, there are 30, 40 deer in there mornings and evenings. I have no idea what they are after in there, but it happens every spring just after green-up.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 04:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

Tiz alright Rich R, Not many people know about a deer's diet, much less believe me when I try telling them.... And yup, it's very cold here in Kane. Archery re-opens tomorrow, but it's so darn cold and snowy here, I may just wait till a break in the weather before hittin it. Deer move best when there's a weather change ( one way or the other ) anyway.
So, I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page