pear trees,where to buy? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

pear trees,where to buy?

I want to plant some pears in the spring. where is a good place to get trees that will not break the bank?

life member pa trappers
distric 1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 12:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

"...that will not break the bank" is relative, but I've gotten grafted pears from both Cummins Nursery and Adams County Nursery. They will run at least $20+ per tree unless you are ordering a large quantity. I consider that a decent price for the quality of trees that I've received from both, but I don't know your budget. Wildlife Group also sells a number of 'deer pears' that are grafted trees, but I haven't tried them since they are a southern nursery, the cost is still $25/tree shipped when you buy one of their packages of five trees, and if I'm spending the same money anyway, I'd prefer to plant pears that I can enjoy too. If you go the nursery route, you will probably want to get your order in very soon, as the popular varieties often sell out early.

I bought one Keiffer from Tractor Supply last summer on clearance; think I still may have paid $18 or so, and while their trees are grafted, it's tough to say exactly what sort of root stock you are getting. If you watch closely at the big box stores next summer, you can possibly find a clearance deal on some trees, but that won't usually happen before late spring, at best, so a little late for your spring planting plans.

Sometimes the PGC has pear seedlings (not grafted), but I don't see them listed on the 2018 list on their site. Those would be less costly per tree if they had them, but they are much smaller than the nursery stock mentioned above, and whether individual trees produce good fruit is anyone's guess since, like apples, pears aren't "true to seed".

If you are going the seedling route, you could also start your own from seed.

Home: 4D & 4B. Camp: 2G & Kentucky
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 12:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have had good luck with lowe's trees and the keiffer pears drop relatively late. If they die within a yr you can take them back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 09:47 PM

I got some wild pear trees from nativ nurseries about 2 years ago. Nice trees, but the cicadas did a number on them being small. Set them back a year or 2. I didn't know that cicadas would do that or I would have covered them.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 10:00 PM

try Lowes ,their trees come with a 1 year replacement if it dies.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

I also looked up the arbor day foundation. might have to mix and match! I got 2 spots on my property picked out. chainsaw comes out next weekend to "open things up"!
OAWC likes this.

life member pa trappers
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 01:26 PM
Part of the Community

I've planted a lot of Tractor Supply trees and last year got a few from Rural King.

They have been better than anything else I've put in the ground from other sources. I'm thinking they were all in the $25 per tree range.

Coon Hunt with Plotts
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 09:13 PM
The Man

Believe it or not, the best pear trees I ever got were from Big Lots.

Got Bartletts and Moonglows. They all grew, every year. Bummer is, they quit selling them at my local store two years ago...................

I'm looking for another good source, myself.

demokraten saugen
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 08:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

I've been very happy with the pears I put in from Cummins but I would buy bare root pears from the other big nurseries, Stark, Adams County, Fedco, Raintree, or Grandpa's. I would recommend you spend some time researching which varieties they offer are disease problems (NOT Bartlett) and ripening times. A good choice for deer that only some offer is Kieffer. Kieffer is disease resistant and later ripening. Potted Kieffer are often available locally from HD, Lowes, Tractor Supply, Agway, etc.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

ordered 25 tree tubes from forestry supply. might as well get ready for spring!
OAWC likes this.

life member pa trappers
life member vfw
member fta
member nta

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page