Timber buyers In my area - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Woods walker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Timber buyers In my area

I removing some giant trees. Some are very straight and all hardwoods. They are coming down anyway and look to be too good to become firewood but will if I don't find someone who buys them.
I'm in Westmoreland county and have about 12 acres of woods .
If you know someone that is honest in this field let me know.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 07:20 PM
Sage

If I were you, I would contact an independent forester to tell you the value of your trees before you offer them for sale to any buyers. The buyers will low ball you and the money you spend on an appraisal could well be worth while
nomad_archer likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 10:14 PM

I agree with woods walker go with a forester he would be your best bet and that is speaking from experience. Check your local phone book or your conservation district. good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 10:13 AM

By all means contact a forester. Had a neighbor with about 15 acres of woods sell off the larger trees, and he had a few giants, but all hardwoods. He called a saw mill and they low balled him terribly. He ended up with about $25.00 a tree. Now granted some woods are barely worth cutting and others are valuable. And prices for some woods are way down. Three months ago, a local saw mill was cutting black walnut for skids. A few professional turners I know, tell me they can't sell anything made of black walnut. One local sawyer told me he has a high demand for wide eastern red cedar planks at a really high rate, but can't find the trees. I had two paulownia trees at the south end of the property, and somebody "rustled" one last winter. Found where they backed a trailer up off an old dirt road and did not bother any of the other larger cherries or locust trees nearby.

Not all trees are valuable to lumber mills. What burls bring is mind boggling and some trees shunned by regular mills are worth much more as blocks of wood to hobbyists. Right now holly turning blocks are running about $20.00 a board foot. A few other woods are also outrageous. An arborist that hunts my property has an outrageous offer for any fair size osage orange he comes across. Seems nearly all the Osage orange trees in the area have been cut down over the past 20 years and no one is replanting them. Linden is another wood that is bringing huge amounts in the hobby market. ebay sales prices of Linden carving blocks are running about $18 a board foot air dried and $24 for kiln dried.

What your stand is worth depends too much on what trees you have and knowing where best to market them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page