Bradford co. frost - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Bradford co. frost

Any frost reports from NE Bradford co.? All our apples were in full bloom 2 weeks ago when I was at camp. Hate to go a 3rd year with no apples

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:01 PM
The Man

Your apples are safe from frost. It would take a major freeze now to destroy the apple crop. My apples were in bloom around the same time here in Centre county, I sprayed my first cover spray Monday night. Bees and bugs were all over the blossoms while they were in bloom so there should be a good pollination; we'll know in a couple weeks how good it was when I start to thin out my apple trees.

Interesting you had no apples last year, hunting up in NY they were so thick it was like skating on marbles in some areas.

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAgain View Post
Your apples are safe from frost. It would take a major freeze now to destroy the apple crop. My apples were in bloom around the same time here in Centre county, I sprayed my first cover spray Monday night. Bees and bugs were all over the blossoms while they were in bloom so there should be a good pollination; we'll know in a couple weeks how good it was when I start to thin out my apple trees.

Interesting you had no apples last year, hunting up in NY they were so thick it was like skating on marbles in some areas.
Camp is at 1500-1700ft. Most of the apples in the low spots had some apples. All the ones up higher did not. I also suspect some different strains of apples bloom later than others. We did not plant any of these, all wild.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:45 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

My Accu-rite said 26 @5:46am on the morning of May 8th in Northwestern Potter at our lowest spot of elevation which is 1650ft.

Good distance from Bradford County but similar latitude so should give you an idea. Yesterday, I noticed the stamens and styles on some my trees with flowers were burnt but the flower petals were fine. On other trees the blossoms had not fully opened yet and seemed ok. And a few others had already bloomed and lost their petals before the freeze. I suspect we will lose some here but not all.

Two years ago we saw 24 degrees on May 23...haha! Zero apples that year like you. Its a whole different world up North for places like ours.

Potter County-God's Country. Fishing/exploring Northcentral PA since 1981.

Last edited by NorthPotter; 05-12-2017 at 08:52 AM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:54 PM
The Man

Wald interesting you had no apples at your elevation, I'm at 2000 feet and had a good apple crop. But there are many micro-climates which can change in a couple miles.
Cutting grass tonight, I noticed many of my cherries were dark, signs the were hit by the cold and frost earlier in the week..

Jeff
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 09:33 PM

NorthPotter do you word on any frost east of you around the Mills area? We are at about 2400 hundred foot elevation. when we were up last time our apple blossoms were just starting to come out.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Came back from turkey hunting at camp . 2 more steps from behind a tree and I would be eating a jake for Thanksgiving!
Anywho... the apples seem to have survived any frost. looks like a bumper crop this year. cherries and crabapples too

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 08:23 PM
The Man

What did I tell you, the frost wouldnt be a problem. The apples on my early tree are really starting to size up already compared to the later ripening trees. We need a major "June drop" or I'll be doing a lot of hand thinning.

Jeff
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 10:05 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good news!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sad news is about 2/3 of the Chinese chestnuts and wild plums we planted last year in tubes did not do well. The 4 I have at home in cages are 2-3 foot hi. Tubes are less work but the survivors in the tubes are small. I think I will be planting in cages in the future. A few weeks ago I planted 25 sawtooths in cages and a few in tubes . Will see the difference this year

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page