2017 habitat projects - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

2017 habitat projects

I was up at camp the last two weeks and was able to knock couple things off the list for 2017.
Couple weeks ago I met with logger who is going to clear out two 1/2 to 3/4 acre food plot sites in the woods for me. We marked the areas and once it dries out he will be in there with excavator and removing trees and stumps. I grabbed soil samples while there as well.
I then did some chainsaw work and thickened up two areas that were pretty open. The one I did two weeks ago and when I was up this week, it was noticeable that the deer had found it.
I also cleared some paths thru a clearing that I had done two years ago. Since I cut the paths back thru it, the deer have been using the paths and eating the buds from the hinge cuts and regen in there.
This past week I planted some silky dogwood seedlings as part of my road screen.
I also took a kiddie pool up and made a "waterhole" at a strategic location. We will see how it works. Not sure on this one, but it was fun doing.

This time I took pics of the work and this site just sucks with trying to post pics now. I have tried twice now and site froze once and just closed the other time. I'm so frustrated with this site right now. So for now you only get the story. I hope to try and post the pics at some point. Sorry for that!

Rob
cspot and stackbarrel like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Let's try some pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0772.jpg (1.14 MB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0801.jpg (2.28 MB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0804.jpg (2.23 MB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0805.jpg (2.27 MB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0808.jpg (2.27 MB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0809.jpg (2.04 MB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0810.jpg (2.07 MB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0811.jpg (2.10 MB, 22 views)
Dobsonknob, cspot and stackbarrel like this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 09:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

D - nice work and thanks for sharing the pics! It's always great to see when the critters respond to your habitat efforts. I'm anxious to see how the cut areas thicken up in the coming seasons. Keep us posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks O! I've been struggling with inserting pics throughout a message but the trees above are dunstan chestnuts planted 3 years ago and crabapple and persimmon trees planted two years ago. The clearing that was done 2 years ago has some really good aspen regrowth with new trees already 6 foot tall. There are also many hinge cuts in there where the tree is still alive and producing many new buds and shoots. Really happy with how it is turning out.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:55 AM

Very nice Delphic!

How much timber is the logger removing?

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

C, My BIL has property that borders me and logger has been on his ground removing ash trees for him. At same time he is going to take any ash trees on my property as well. There are some but not near as much as on BIL property. I have one field that borders road but always wanted a couple of secluded plots in the woods that are on my property. Since logger is up there I figured no better time than to do it now. We walked the two areas I was thinking about and we came up with two areas, one maybe 1/2 acre and other closer to 3/4 acre. He is going to cut path to it so I can get tractor in to it. These areas only have junk trees there now. He figures 3 days with the excavator to remove trees and stumps. He also believes I have enough ash trees to cover cost of project. Win win in my book.
I got my soil test back and will need several ton of lime so I will have some work ahead of me but I look forward to it!

Rob
stackbarrel likes this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 02:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

just an idea, if you have him pile up the roots/stumps and any tree's he doesn't take and such around the food plot, you can help BLACK ways into the plot , to make deer walk past possible stand sites, like fencing some what in area's you prefer deer not to enter the plot!
and they will also become places critters will bed near or under
or better yet, you can pile them up and make a blind out of them!
stackbarrel likes this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 03:03 PM

Yes Delphic that seems like a good deal. Free work is always a good!

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 03:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice plan D. Good to see you fenced those trees/shrubs in, otherwise they may disappear one nibble at a time. Godd idea to remove the ash. They'll all be dead soon so best to do it now. Someone did mention about using roots, stumps, etc to help funnel deer past stands. That is a good tool too. Soil samples. EXCELLENT!!! That is job #1 before we put any seed in the ground. BTW, have a test done for micronutrients too. Most plots need sulphur. High calcium lime too. Best wishes for a successful habitat project!!

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 07:22 PM
New Arrival

I spent a few days in camp last week before the weather got nasty and worked on a few projects. Went to the local co op and got 6lb of red clover to plant two new small plots. It was nice to plant this seed on 65 degree day before 3 inches of snow fell on Friday.

Also started building an elevated hunting blind. I have a basic plan in mind but didn't make any drawings, instead, I started building it as more ideas came to mind. The floor is 6ft by 8ft and the ceiling is 6.5 ft tall. I'm using mostly leftover lumber but had to stop when I ran out of 2x4's . It will sit on 4x4x16 posts but it is getting built inside the garage and once all the walls are ready I'll assemble it at its final location.

At night I made some walking sticks while sitting by the fire. That's what camp is about!!!!

Keep the projects coming!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page