Looking for pin oak / Norway spruce - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Looking for pin oak / Norway spruce

I was looking to buy a few b&b pin oaks. Looking for some 6'-8' . Also looking for some decent bare root Norway spruce seedlings. I am in Erie county and trying to stay local without paying a ton. The norways I could probably get through mail, but I don't want the tiny seedlings that you typically see. Just wondering if anyone had suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 07:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Flickingers is the place to go for Norways they have different sizes. they are in shinglehouse.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:47 AM

Oaks have a long tap root, so a 6-8' oak in a pot would probably be root bound and not grow very well!
Your better off planting 1 yr old oak seedlings.

Gobble,Gobble,Gobble -> BANG
KingRon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 07:09 PM
New Arrival

I know you said local but I wasn't lucky when I tried Howard nursery a couple years ago for evergreens. My success rate was about 90% when I purchased norways out of lawyer nursery in Montana thru mail. Actually everything I got from lawyer has been growing well.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I was looking for the pin oaks to plant near my house for landscaping so I would like to get balled and burlappe which limits how far I can go., however I would take a drive if the price was right. I have bought pin oak seedlings from Howard nursery, and the deer just mowed them down. Since the oaks would be near my house I would like something decent size to start, but not necessarily 6-8.

The norways I was going to plant both near my house and in the woods for cover. I have no problem ordering these from anywhere but I want something closer to the 2-3 foot range.

Thanks for the input.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:21 PM
The Man

Pin Oak for landscaping.. Their leaves get into every nook and cranny. Fine if you don't mind raking leaves.. The leaves get into the gutters systems and cause overflow of the rain gutters. The rain gets into your basement etc.. They do get large to. Which could be good and bad.. My neighbor had one that we got all of the leaves from for years.. It got so big they had to cut it down.. When they did finally cut it down we went out to celebrate... There are Pro and Con on everything I hope you checked the bad things out too?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page