Privacy fence with trees - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Privacy fence with trees

I know this isnt a habitat question but Im sure the guys and gals that troll this part of the forum will have an pretty good answer to my question....What is a good type of tree/shrub to plant for privacy? We are building a new house and are in the process of cleaning the lot in preparation to start digging the foundation. With needing so much room to place dirt and move around with the excavator, we removed most of the trees in the immediate area of where our house will be located and what was left on the fringes are not that great of trees for privacy (tall maples...). What is a good type of privacy tree or shrub that grows fast but not necessarily super tall or round. Something that grows 12-15 and several feet round would be great. Would like something that is green or has foliage most if not all of the year.

Also related but a secondary question, where is the best place to purchase such trees?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 08:13 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Will deer browsing be an issue in your area?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 10:13 AM
Part of the Community

Deer will make an arborvitae look like a lollipop if they even get that big before the deer clean them out. A local nursery should be able to point you in the right direction on species to use and not use for what you want. Good luck.

Get off the couch and do something constructive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Deer is not an issue....i wouldnt think
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 02:59 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thuja Green Giant

Goin in early and stayin late.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 12:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

Welcome to Big Rock Trees LLC - Making the world more green, one stick at a time.

Check out the hybrid willow and popular cuttings they have to offer. You'll have a dense screen in 2-3 years.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 12:59 PM

Pin oak, red bud, witch hazel are good non pines. Id plant two rows of pines and two rows of non pines. Stagger rows and plant pines on the outside. Pikes peak or mussers in indiana county carry tons of nice trees. Maybe an apple or pear tree for fruit and spring flowers.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 01:00 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Arborvitae are the classic screeners, though I think they're somewhat obnoxious looking. Just don't plant bamboo
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftyshad View Post
Arborvitae are the classic screeners, though I think they're somewhat obnoxious looking. Just don't plant bamboo
Why not bamboo? I just ran across some and thought that would be different. Do you have advice or experience to backup your suggestion?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 01:48 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 171farm View Post
Why not bamboo? I just ran across some and thought that would be different. Do you have advice or experience to backup your suggestion?
In my profession I'm geared towards native species. Most arborvitae aren't native, but they also aren't invasive. Bamboo is an invasive species that can be extremely difficult to control. It will continue to grow and expand and expand and grow and now all of a sudden your neighbor has a half acre patch. While it's perfect to suit your screening needs I can't morally suggest it. It's an Asian implant like stink bugs, asiatic carp, mile-a-minute weed, and so on and so forth. No Asian invasions are good to our Pennsylvania ecosystem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page