Just got my timber cut... now what? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Just got my timber cut... now what?

So my bro and I own 83 acres of mt ground.. we just got the timber cut, and they moved out the equipment the other day. What can I do right now to help attract the deer and turkeys? I'll probably plant something in the log landing and use that as a food plot. Does anyone have any other suggestions of anything else I could do?? There is a little stream that runs down through the property, I was thinking about digging a spot out beside it and making a little watering hole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 12:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

Not sure what your age is but since you used the term bro I'll assume you're fairly young. Wait till this fall and purchase several hundred pounds of acorns from around the country. Focus on acorns from oak trees that aren't common in your area. There's a pile of oak species out there so do your research. Throw them in the fridge over the winter, properly germinate them in the spring and get to sticking them in the ground after the frost. 20 years from now you'll have a property that every deer/turkey flock to every fall.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 01:06 PM

Virtually impossible to make suggestions with that amount of info, but can't go wrong with the basics of cover, food, and water. Generally speaking in PA I would focus on the them in that order and primarily cover and food before I went digging waterholes which fill in pretty quickly and typically we aren't hurting for water sources here. If you don't have good oak regeneration I would focus on that like bass said. If you want to put in the work involved with food plots they are a proven attractor but not for everyone as they do require large investments of time and money. For less maintenance I would look toward making sure you get good post cut regeneration of native species. You should be seeing natural regeneration of food and cover species like greenbrier and blackberry canes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBlaster View Post
Not sure what your age is but since you used the term bro I'll assume you're fairly young. Wait till this fall and purchase several hundred pounds of acorns from around the country. Focus on acorns from oak trees that aren't common in your area. There's a pile of oak species out there so do your research. Throw them in the fridge over the winter, properly germinate them in the spring and get to sticking them in the ground after the frost. 20 years from now you'll have a property that every deer/turkey flock to every fall.
yeah, im 24 years old!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 01:45 PM

This really all depends on how much time and money you have to put into it. If it were me, I'd let a section of the land alone to get thick and provide cover\bedding areas. When we last timbered on our property, we created a 1.75 acre food plot that already had orchard attached to it. We had the loggers push all the unwanted logs to one side to the deer could only enter from one end or the other, so it makes it much easier to hunt over. On the back side of this we have a very thick bedding area that nobody goes into until rifle season. As far as what you can do for your land, like the other guys said, oaks would be great for long term, problem is it takes 20 years and it's a lot of work. If you have the correct layout, I'd make a 1-2 acre foodplot. I'd also get some chestnut seedlings and some older trees planted along with some disease resistant fruit trees. Again, these take a lot of work maintenance, time, money, you can't just plant and be done with most trees or you just wasted your time and effort. You will only get out what you put into it. Just my $.02. Hope that helps.

Last edited by DrewMc; 02-24-2017 at 01:53 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 02:09 PM
The Man

...possibilities are endless..
..what species was cut?...what was untouched?...
..mixed timber?...mature? saplings? pole?
..making core area?...hinge cutting?...dominant wind direction during hunting season in your area?
..clearings?..paths?

..a "water hole" wont do diddly..

..contact forester...or WCO land manager..let them know you want to enhance your deer potential...

..your land management may be in 3-6 year cut cycles
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 02:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

right now? lime lime lime where you plan to plant.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbhnger10 View Post
...possibilities are endless..
..what species was cut?...what was untouched?...
..mixed timber?...mature? saplings? pole?
..making core area?...hinge cutting?...dominant wind direction during hunting season in your area?
..clearings?..paths?

..a "water hole" wont do diddly..

..contact forester...or WCO land manager..let them know you want to enhance your deer potential...

..your land management may be in 3-6 year cut cycles
They took out all of the maple.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by CROW MASTER View Post
right now? lime lime lime where you plan to plant.

Thanks! Will do, any particular brand of lime?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 03:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Ag lime (think powder) will be cheaper than pelletized lime, but it is more difficult to spread. Best to get your soil tested so you know how much each area needs, as well as any other fertilizer you might need. Mossy Oak has a nice soil test guys on here have used, and I use the Penn State soil tests that I can get at my local gardening store.

Our waterholes have made a significant impact on our property for a variety of critters....but we were lacking any kind of water source. I have read that deer prefer to drink from still water versus running, so they can hear any approaching danger better while drinking. Cover, food, and water...they need all 3.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page