Buck Beds and Licking Branches - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By delphic93
  • 1 Post By OAWC

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Buck Beds and Licking Branches

Was doing some looking at Youtube and came across these videos about building buck beds and also making a community scrape. Anyone ever try it? Any results? I think I remember someone on here talking about buck beds before.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 09:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

C,
I made one back in beginning of January. I was going to make more but it was 0 degrees and was having a hard time keeping trees hinged. After first one, I stopped. I haven't been back up to camp to see if they are using it but I will be doing some others as well when I get back up to camp. I will report back once I get up there to see if it is being used.

Rob
cspot likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 10:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

If the buck bed thing makes you feel better to do that, then I say it is time well spent. But it seems like a rubber horse stall mats or some outdoor carpet remnants would really pamper that buck. Even better, a small plywood roof would keep him dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 08:13 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

C - we plan on making some buck beds and some doe/fawn group beds this spring. Our biggest shortcomings right now are flat spots (entire property is a sloped ridge) and shade (logged a few years ago). We hope to remedy both with making some beds for the deer.

I will post up some pics when we get ours made....we have been talking about them for 2 years now, just need to get some made. As you well know, there is always stuff that needs done around camp and on the habitat around camp!
cspot likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 11:40 AM
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for posting video I went back in bedding area yesterday did some basic cleanup of branches and made a new bed.
Have done it before about 5 years ago and it did seem to get more use but hard to tell already an established bedding area on edge of swamp.
Lots of thick brush with a maze of trails I just trim growth down to ground and remove fallen branches from beds.
I very rarely go in that area for obvious reasons.Its mostly a doe bedding area seen bucks use it during rut.
Now through April I do not see many deer on property usually do a lot of work on property if snows not bad.

Just get out and enjoy the outdoors.
Leave the rest behind it will be there waiting when you return.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page