Where do you purchase you seedlings? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Where do you purchase you seedlings?

Just curious as to where you all buy your seedlings.

Howard Nursery
Missouri Department of Conservation
County Coop.
Any others?

I am looking to purchase some seedlings this year and was wondering who has the best stock and prices.

Also has anyone had any experience with Persimmons and Wild Plum here in PA?

I will be planting in a field along a river. Trying to draw deer from the adjacent hillside where the oaks are down to where I have permission to hunt.

I live in Lawrence Co. Zone 6a.

Frank7ptbk

2F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:34 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have bought seedlings from the PGC Howard, NH State Nursery, Missouri MDC, Soil & Water Conservation District, and various private nurseries. And grown my own of certain things from seed and taken up grafting.

I am working to expand persimmons on our farm in NW Columbia Co., about 10 miles north of I-80. There are 2 mature persimmons that I assume were planted by the barn more than 60 years ago. The 3rd tree (male) blew over in a storm a few years ago. The mature female trees still fruit but not as well. There are also many younger suckers or seedlings coming up around the barn or pasture. One of those just started to fruit last year. I did some bark and cleft grating last year of those smaller trees to named varieties (Prok, Yates, Meader) with very good success. I found more seedlings this summer that I will graft with some other later ripening varieties but still early/mid season varieties. There are some pretty late ripening and dropping varieties available but I'm not certain how late is too late to ripen for me.

Longer term, I have an old apple orchard (can see the trees in the 1930s aerial photos) that I want to convert to persimmon and paw paw. Now is mostly black walnut and increasingly autumn olive. I planted bare root persimmon and paw paw from MDC a couple year ago. Also some persimmon I started from seed the summer of 2015 and planted out that fall. Although many sources say persimmon don't need protection, I found that they DO. My little seedlings got mowed off last winter and the MDCs without protection did not do that well. I have some more on order from MDC for this spring and those will get tubed. Most of the persimmon seedlings will eventually get grafted. Same for the paw paws.

I have some wild american plum from MDC and beach plum from NH in the ground for 3 years. Still going. Probably could have used more weed control to help get them going.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:51 PM

I have bought some chestnut from Empire chestnut and also some wild pear from Nativ Nurseries. These 2 sources aren't real cheap but the quality is good. To me they are good if you are looking to plant a few trees. If you are looking to plant 100 they would be pretty expensive. I know Nativ Nurseries has a 17% sale going on for the start of 2017. They carry Persimmon and some plum varieties. Never planted them though.

I will say though it will be touch to pull deer away from the acorns even with fruit unless the bedding area is closer to the fruit trees and along their travel corridor to the oaks. Those darn acorns are tough to compete against. However in a poor acorn year, you can be sitting in the hot seat. We hunt an old apple orchard that is close to some bedding and it has proven to be one of our best stands especially for buck.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!

Last edited by cspot; 01-03-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

you could get them through the Lawrence County Conservation District annual seedling sale. you can look at their website or call them at 724-652-4512 and get on the mailing list.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:27 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Local Conservation District
Howard Nursery
MDC

Fruit trees - Adams County Nursery or Boyer's

To compete with acorns, you might want to look at chestnuts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I have purchased some seedlings from the Lawrence County Conservation District is the past but they don't offer the persimmons or wild plum.
I will be looking into some chestnuts also.

Thanks,
Frank7ptbk

2F
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 07:32 PM
Regular Visitor

We have ordered from Howard, PA dcnr in the past (they no longer sell seedlings), local conservation district office, private nurseries, such as maple Hill farms in Lewisburg, and Virginia. We have been pleased with all of them. This year we ordered from Virginia as they had what we were looking for.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 09:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

For evergreens I get them from flickingers. Fruit & nut trees I buy from mussers. Both are of very good quality.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page