Diggin' through the snow - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 131Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 237 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Diggin' through the snow

Here are a few pics from our largest food plot, taken Thursday, January 29th.

The plot had oats (now toast), rye, turnips, and winter peas in it. There is quite a bit of digging from the local deer herd.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 237 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 08:13 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Diggin' through the snow

Great stuff! Helping out during the deep freeze.
post #3 of 237 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 08:21 PM
The Man

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 237 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 06:31 AM

What kind of turnips are they?
post #5 of 237 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

There are several different varieties of turnips in the mix we planted. I believe the turnip pictured is a Purple Top Turnip though....

Some of the brassica plants didn't grow a "bulb" such as the turnip you see above...plus there are some radishes in the mix as well. The deer are also pounding the top growth to this mix.

I got some more pictures over the weekend when I was there....you can see how they have eaten off the top growth in the first and second pic.

Also - the deer are digging through the snow to get to this stuff while there are 3 large fields of standing beans in the farm fields below with literally tons of beans above the snow....

post #6 of 237 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 07:54 PM
The Man

Yep, they're hammering my purple tops as well. I have a 3 does that are there about 5 nights a week. Sometimes for hours.

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #7 of 237 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Here are some pics I took over the weekend....coming of spring, or so we thought. We got snowed on like crazy Saturday morning for about an hour...it put a damper on a few of our plans, but we still got a lot accomplished.

Fruit trees pruned, some work done on the cabin, some work done on the lane to the cabin, and some clean up and fertilizing around other seedlings.

Here is some young clover starting to green up alongside some cereal rye that appears to be getting hit fairly hard.

A wide view of the plot...the oats are long-gone toast, but the rye and clover are greening up quickly.

A turnip that was munched, along with a top to another brassica plant eaten to the nub.

A nice find right in the middle of a clover road:

The deer hammered these ailanthus shoots over the winter, as they were easy pickins above the snow level. I guess the ailanthus are good for something....

Can you find the spruce "tree" in this picture?? Deer hammered it over the winter, despite spruces being somewhat deer resistant...a white pine seedling nearby got hit even harder.

A smaller plot with clover starting to green up. The deer pretty much cleaned up the turnips in here. You can see some of the "fertilizer" that the deer left behind to help the plot this spring - ha. I did manage to get 5 Flowering Dogwoods from MDC started along the fringes of this plot...but they were the only trees I was able to get into the ground so far.

Here's a look at the scene on Saturday morning in the snow...

This is the second growing season for this clover road...we frost-seeded it in March of 2014.

bigguy54 likes this.
post #8 of 237 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 10:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice update, OAWC! Good to see a little green coming on. Is the spruce a Norway? Most of my white pine get chewed on, but have been fortunate with Norways so far.

Home: 4D & 4B. Camp: 2G & Kentucky
post #9 of 237 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks ng270. I'm not sure if the spruce is a Norway or a White. I have planted both, and I can't recall what this one is.

This spruce was readily available to the deer, in an open area. There was another a few yards away that is somewhat "protected" by a hinge-cut maple...they didn't seem to bother it at all.

I plan to get a bunch more evergreens in the ground this spring, so hopefully the browse damage is spread across more seedlings and had less impact.
post #10 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

What a difference a few days can make! Check out the same plots between March 27th and April 11th. The sunshine helps out in the April 11th pics, along with the bright green ninja turtle - ha.

March 27th:

April 11th:

March 27th:

April 11th:

The lil man helped put out some minerals for the deer as well...he asked what they were for, and the best I could come up with was comparing them to his gummy vitamins. So now he tells everyone he put out vitamins for the deer...

bigguy54 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page