Diggin' through the snow - Page 20 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #191 of 207 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
Good luck it should produce for you.
Thanks! I will be sure to share our experience with the doves using the sunflowers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 207 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 08:12 PM

I have successfully Dove hunted over sunflowers, get a lot of shooting in, not necessarily more Doves.
post #193 of 207 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

It's been a while since I have posted anything from the ridge. Spring Gobbler season was fairly eventful for us, and we got to hunt an extra day with taking Lucas out for the Youth Saturday on April 20th. He ended up missing a long beard on the regular opening day....so I think he's hooked on chasing turkeys in the spring.

Last fall's oats/barley/clover planting did very well....there will be plenty of barley seeds for the young poults in the next few weeks, and the clover is coming in nice under the barley stalks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orchard Barley Heads 20190527.jpg (2.44 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Orchard Clover amongst the Barley 20190527.jpg (2.54 MB, 3 views)
TBrom and cspot like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #194 of 207 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have been working on our largest clover plot with Clethodim spray and crop oil to get some of the grass patches under control....mainly trying to keep the fox tail from getting a foot hold in the plot. I also hit some other grasses including some orchard grass - there is plenty of orchard grass in the area around the plot, no need for it to be in the plot as well.

The Cleth spray has worked pretty well....I still have a few spots to hit yet. I should have listened to the old man when he wanted to do a blanket spraying with the 15-gallon tank with booms, but I was stubborn and said I could spot spray it with the backpack sprayer.

A young deer was hitting the plot the one morning we were waiting to see what the turkeys were going to do.

We are hoping the grass reduction will allow us to do fewer mowings this summer....we kept hitting it pretty regularly last year to keep the foxtail from going to seed. There are so many bugs in this plot, the barn swallows come out to join us while were mowing to get some easy pickins. We have also seen a hen turkey with her poults in this plot several times...the bugs are a great source of protein for the young turkeys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Field Plot after Cleth Spray 20190525.jpg (1.67 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Field Plot after Cleth SprayA 20190525.jpg (2.18 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Field Plot after Cleth SprayB 20190525.jpg (2.81 MB, 2 views)

Last edited by OAWC; 05-29-2019 at 07:28 PM. Reason: added comments, typo
post #195 of 207 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

There is a small 1-acre-ish field right below the cabin on the farmer's ground that he has left fallow the last few years after he pushed out a fence row and changed the shape of the larger field beside it. I spoke with him about planting it with some stuff for the critters this year, and he gave me the green light.

A few weeks ago, I had Dad mow a few rounds of the bottom side of the plot so that is was more manageable to spray with Gly. After a weekday morning turkey hunt, I hit the field with gly from the backpack sprayer....and then Dad mowed it again to try to help the plants break down a little bit. After we hunted the morning with Lucas on Saturday, we hooked up the tiller and started to tear it up. Even with a lot of junk on top, the tiller did a very nice job preparing a seed bed for us. The remaining plant material should make for excellent organic matter for the soil in the plot.

I broadcast sunflowers, grain sorghum, some old corn seed that probably will not germinate very well, and some oats after Dad had made a few passes with the tiller. Lucas tried to help with the seeding, but his young arms were not quite long enough to bring the seeder crank the whole way around. He did help me pick a few rocks out the plot, but over all the rocks were not bad at all. As usual though, we are always working on a slope!

After the seed was down, Dad did a light till-in pass over the plot to get the seed worked into the soil. We found this method to work very well with the fall oats and barley planting last year (I broadcast the clover after the till-in pass and let it sit right on top). The area got a nice thunderstorm on Saturday evening and Tuesday evening, so the plot should be off to great start. This part of the plot is about 1/4 acre.

After a solo gobbler hunt on Monday morning, I fired up the tractor again to mow the rest of the fallow field in preparation for spraying it this coming weekend.

The first two pics were taken just after planting on Saturday (I must have had the phone at a funny angle in the second pic - the hill is not that steep). The third picture was taken after I mowed the remainder of the plot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cabin Plot just Planted 20190525.jpg (1.83 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Cabin Plot just PlantedA 20190525.jpg (2.27 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Cabin Plot 20190527.jpg (1.68 MB, 4 views)

Last edited by OAWC; 05-29-2019 at 03:11 PM. Reason: added comments
post #196 of 207 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I am very late on my fruit tree pruning this year, but I did get a few trees trimmed up a bit on Monday morning before mowing the remainder of the plot below the cabin. It's always nice to see some young apples starting to grow. One of my Asian Pear trees is fairly well loaded up as well, but I managed to slice my finger with the pruners before I got to that tree so I did not get my phone out for pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orchard Apple Tree 20190527.jpg (1.68 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Orchard Apple TreeA 20190527.jpg (1.50 MB, 3 views)
ng270, TBrom and cspot like this.

Last edited by OAWC; 05-29-2019 at 03:19 PM. Reason: typo
post #197 of 207 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:18 PM

Nice Update!!! Looks like things are growing well for you.
OAWC likes this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #198 of 207 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:30 PM
Part of the Community

Nice work, thanks for the pictures
post #199 of 207 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 06:46 AM
The Man

[QUOTE=OAWC;3555221

... I managed to slice my finger with the pruners before I got to that tree so I did not get my phone out for pics.[/QUOTE]

How did that happen?

Everybody talks about safety tips for using chain saws, but are there some safety tips we should know about for hand tools like pruners and loppers?
post #200 of 207 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbert View Post
How did that happen?

Everybody talks about safety tips for using chain saws, but are there some safety tips we should know about for hand tools like pruners and loppers?
Ha - I was cutting a maple limb to put through a tree cage to help stand a young tree straight up for its growth this year....the maple limb had some side branches on it - I had it laid in my hand snipping of the side branches. When I cut one of them, the very tip of the pruners caught my index finger on the hand holding the limb. Not very smart at all....I was zipping along trying to get as much done as possible, got a little careless with the pruners.

I grabbed a big burdock leaf and wrapped it as tight as I could to stop the bleeding. By the time I got back to the cabin to grab the first aid kit, the bleeding had stopped. A band-aid and some tape to keep it sealed off, and I was back in business.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page