Dunstan Chestnuts - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Dunstan Chestnuts

The new super wallmart in Sayre has a lot of Dunstan cestnut trees for sale.A little pricey at $29.97/tree but if anyone is interested.

Don't judge a man for what he has done but for what he has left behind...Hunts and lives in 3B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 09:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Dunstan Chestnuts

People are crazy to pay that much!!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 09:53 PM

Spur , Hope you don't get any ideas on prices. See Saturday evening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 11:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Lol. I promise!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 02:16 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have been avoiding the Sayre Walmart like the plague but I had to return a movie so I thought I would go check out the Dunstans as mentioned above. They are listed for $29.97 per tree and they have over a hundred in stock. Looks like they sold 4 of them. Here are the pictures I took:

A few things to mention. I got "talked to" by the Walmart employee. I pulled one out of the container to take a picture of the roots and he told me that I am not allowed to take them out of the container. I said how else can you check the health of the tree and he said it has green leaves. Can't win with a know-it-all! Anyways, when I lifted it out of the container the soil fell away from the roots which is a horrible sign for the health of the tree.

The next thing to mention is a tree should not have to be held up by a bamboo stick! If the tree was grown for height, not health. Several trees have catkins which is a good sign for a healthy tree. If someone does by some of these, please DO NOT let them produce because the nutrients should be going into growing the roots and trunk.

The trees are 15 months old, not 2 years old. When they were growing these they added too much Nitrogen to the soil which is why they are so spindly and as stated above they are only trying to get height.

My question is, and maybe I should start a new thread, but, do you guys like a tall tree that are very thin and would break in 10 mph wind, or a tree that can withstand 60 mph and half the height and twice the roots?

Depending on the responses I may change the way I grow them.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 03:21 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

How would someone make them grow for root growth and stop height growth? At their current state? I have three and as we discussed, mine had week trunks.

The ones I got from spur are about 2 inches high as of now but I have noticed that the base of the trunk is about 4 times the diameter of the stem. It appears the roots are growing nicely. I will prolly baby these until next spring before planting outside. I have enough root makers for it.

Bob
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 10:29 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Grow them outside the greenhouse in full sunlight. Those look like they have been reaching for the sun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page